Goce's 06 twin turbo diesel peugeot

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
First of all this is not a classic or a truck but is interesting and broken so i thought i'll share it. This vehicle is not sold in the US and is rare even in europe. I found this Peugeot advertised on a local site cheap. The advert was written very badly and only mention a slight coolant leak. I grabbed my car keys and went 130 km away in another city to have a look. On the body and mechanical except tires it was in good shape. The engine is a different story, it producing pressure in the cooling system and there is engine oil in the coolant. After negotiation the price to where it can work for me and cuting his asking price in half we shook hands. i left him a deposit, and went home, next day i went back 130km and transferred the title on my name, return the license plates, get temporary plates, went thru the inspection station and begin my 130 km drive home, the first 50km was fine but then temp gauge started to drop and engine oil temp went up. I stopped and found a DIY radiator hose blow off and dump all its coolant. I attach the hose filled the system with water and continued, next 30 km was holding but then the temp gauge dropped again at zero no indication that is overheating, i stopped and it has spilled out all the water i put in the coolant system combined with engine oil and it won't accept any more it was boiling and spitting. I had stopped at a road works so all the road workers come by and stood around waiting for it to cool down. Then i filled it and made it further 20 km and same again, did the same then took 10km to do it again and last few km i stopped 2 more times but got it home, the first picture is dirty how i got it that night next two are form the next day me washing it. Now i'll be tearing the 2,7 HDI twin turbo engine part by part to fix it. I wanted to share my experience with it and all my struggles.
IMG_20200129_205258.jpg IMG_20200130_150234.jpg IMG_20200130_150223.jpg

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Pretty car....

But as my friend Dick says "The French follow no one, and no one follows the French";)

BTW, his wife is Cajun (French) and they have both British and French cars.

Cheers,

John

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Goce, you are one patient and persistent guy.
Looking forward to following your adventure with the Peugeot.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Let the adventures begin. I spent some time today, washing the engine bay, from all the coolant and oil that it spilled out. After few hours to dry i drove it around to dry the engine. Then come somewhat tricky task of getting it in the big garage, it so long and so low that it will nose dive if i tried to drive it straight so i had to get couple of my other vehicles out first and drive in at an angle and the last few feet i use a piece of wood to drive on to, to keep the front bumper from scraping. Once i got it in i did not waste any time to loosen all the wheels and got it on jack stands, it's a heavy car, so i used the two jack method and get it high enough so i can get under it.
IMG_20200204_181843.jpg IMG_20200204_191442.jpg

brino

Confirmed Tool User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Excellent, I need another of your practical, logical, do-it-yourself build/repair threads!

I'll be Watching!
-brino

popcorn.gif

middle.road

Actively Learning...
I wonder how that motor would do in my ol' CJ5...? :grin:

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I wonder how that motor would do in my ol' CJ5...? :grin:
Get yourself a wrecked Discovery 3 and find out, i think you'll need some stronger axles those 440 Nm of torque like to break stuff. The Land Rover discovery 3 from 04 to 09 use the same Peugeot engine but i think only single turbo and 15 less hp and is the only vehicle that you can get this engine with a manual gearbox and a 4wd transfer case, do you feel a challenge coming?
DSC09212_38c6bf74-dd0b-4e94-9c13-d379f1f25e67.jpg

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Sounds to me like you have one or both head gaskets leaking.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I'm hoping it's just a cracked oil cooler and cracked EGR cooler but i know deep down i'll get intimate with this engine. Heads off, block out and... by the time i'm ready to drive it.

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Yeah oil cooler will do it too. Lots of work ahead of ya. Good luck

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
I left this car to settle on the jack stands for a few days it was more because my health started to act up but today i finally was able to go in the big cold garage and scan the 607 for fault codes, there was 9 in the memory most of them repeating. Main two are EGR blocked and becomes is french it has to be two of them, and a map sensor, i quickly located it on the engine and inspected it and it was gunked up with junk from the egr, i looked at the number and happend to have a spare from a hitachi digger engine i have laying around i swapped it clear the codes and only the EGR code come back after running it a bit. A bit more inspecting sowed the huge oil leak is coming from the middle of the V on the engine, where the Oil cooler and filter housing is located so maybe my problem lays there.
IMG_20200131_182519.jpg IMG_20200131_182448.jpg IMG_20200131_184801.jpg

FOMOGO

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
I have to admire your propensity for self inflicted pain. Of course we all suffer from the same affliction, or we wouldn't be here. Should be fun following along. Cheers, Mike

middle.road

Actively Learning...
That's got to be the smallest EGR I've ever seen.
Good luck tracking down the leak!
I left this car to settle on the jack stands for a few days it was more because my health started to act up but today i finally was able to go in the big cold garage and scan the 607 for fault codes, there was 9 in the memory most of them repeating. Main two are EGR blocked and becomes is french it has to be two of them, and a map sensor, i quickly located it on the engine and inspected it and it was gunked up with junk from the egr, i looked at the number and happend to have a spare from a hitachi digger engine i have laying around i swapped it clear the codes and only the EGR code come back after running it a bit. A bit more inspecting sowed the huge oil leak is coming from the middle of the V on the engine, where the Oil cooler and filter housing is located so maybe my problem lays there.
View attachment 312992 View attachment 312993 View attachment 312994

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
That's got to be the smallest EGR I've ever seen.
Good luck tracking down the leak!
My writing is definitely getting worse more sleep deprived i'm. The last picture is from the Map sensor, not the EGR valves they are electric and it has two of them but because is being driven with with the EGR's opened it has fill the intake and the map sensor with diesel sud and gunk.
Sorry for the confusion, middle.road.

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Pheeeew, I thought my mechanix skills were lagging behind the times....

My writing is definitely getting worse more sleep deprived i'm. The last picture is from the Map sensor, not the EGR valves they are electric and it has two of them but because is being driven with with the EGR's opened it has fill the intake and the map sensor with diesel sud and gunk.
Sorry for the confusion, middle.road.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Let the adventure begin, I started to disassemble the engine, the cooling system, i could see some glue was used on the thermostat housing when i first went to look at it but had no idea anyone could be so stupid to do this. To glue a rubber hose inside the thermostat housing blocking the passages for the heads. I also found that the V of the engine is full of oil leaking from the oil filter or oil cooler. After seeing this mess i decided i'll take out the radiator to clean it. But to remove the radiator i have to remove the front bumper not a simple job, but an hour later it was out along with a lot of other components, this process took me almost an entire day and when i come to removing the back hoses i come to a conclusion that i'll need to remove the entire engine, there simply is not enough space to do the work in the engine bay.
IMG_20200208_175539.jpg IMG_20200209_144005.jpg IMG_20200209_144011.jpg IMG_20200209_144055.jpg IMG_20200209_144103.jpg IMG_20200209_153412.jpg IMG_20200209_183225.jpg IMG_20200209_183244.jpg IMG_20200209_183254.jpg

middle.road

Actively Learning...
Let the adventure begin, I started to disassemble the engine, the cooling system, i could see some glue was used on the thermostat housing when i first went to look at it but had no idea anyone could be so stupid to do this. To glue a rubber hose inside the thermostat housing blocking the passages for the heads. I also found that the V of the engine is full of oil leaking from the oil filter or oil cooler. After seeing this mess i decided i'll take out the radiator to clean it. But to remove the radiator i have to remove the front bumper not a simple job, but an hour later it was out along with a lot of other components, this process took me almost an entire day and when i come to removing the back hoses i come to a conclusion that i'll need to remove the entire engine, there simply is not enough space to do the work in the engine bay.
View attachment 313237 View attachment 313238 View attachment 313239 View attachment 313240 View attachment 313241 View attachment 313242 View attachment 313243 View attachment 313244 View attachment 313236
Now, that's going to be a project...

kb58

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Seeing those pictures makes me feel good about building my own car from scratch!

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Seeing those pictures makes me feel good about building my own car from scratch!
Yeah, you are defenetly better off building someting from scratch, i've done it both ways and is defenetly harder fixing rust, doing hevy mehanical work i'll put couple of links of my Little niva project and my Rear wheel converson on my Mi16x4.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Last few days i've been taking apart the 607 very dirty and hard work, there is absolutely no space. One other thing i've also been doing is washing the cooling system parts it looks like this car that had this problem for a long time, on all the hoses, housings there is a 3mm this layer of oil sludge, there is a lot of it i've been soaking the parts in oven degreaser and washing them with very hot water but i'm having trouble getting all the sludge out, even after 5 washings there is still coming out, on some parts i can get a brush in them and they clean up well but staf like EGR coolers valves i can't acces them. Has anyone had to do this any tips how clean the engine block and rest of the system, outside of the car. Any advice is appreciated.
IMG_20200209_144016.jpg

eugene13

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Oven spray, it's tough on aluminum but gets it clean.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Oven spray, it's tough on aluminum but gets it clean.
This being a 06' most of cooling components are plastic and rubber and i'm using oven spray/ degreaser but is not working very well, needs couple of washings to clean them. I was thinking about making some rig to circulate degreaser thru the engine and then flash it with hot water.

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today i got my hands really dirty removed the accessory drive, removal the alternator disconnect and drain the power steering , moved the A/C compressor then i moved to the passenger axle, it has a carrier bearing bolted the the engine block removed it. Then i went under it, removed the front catalytic converter, unbolted a cross support, removed the inspection cover and unbolted the 6 bolts from the flexplate to the torque converter then after fighting with the rear catalytic converter i figure out that it can come out with the engine then i remove the power steering oil cooler and dropped down the radiator support and A/C compressor without degassing the system. At this point i could not feel my hands from the cold so i call it a day.
IMG_20200215_120604.jpg IMG_20200215_120610.jpg IMG_20200215_120619.jpg IMG_20200215_120629.jpg IMG_20200215_175626.jpg

Lo-Fi

You're a brave man. I absolutely draw the line at working on French cars. Peugeot being the absolute worst of them all! I came to the conclusion that they're designed to be unmaintainable and disposable.

Bon courage and kudos, though!

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today i spent a lot of time in the garage, after finishing pulling some staff around engine and the engine come out, my engine crane is actually bending from the weight. When i pulled the top bolt for the gearbox all the oil and water from the engine wally leaked out and there's a lot. With the engine out i set it on a tire and took the timing belt cover off to inspect the belt and is soaked in engine oil. So a big step forward now the more technical work can begin.
IMG_20200215_175632.jpg IMG_20200215_175648.jpg IMG_20200215_175639.jpg

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Last few days i've been very busy at work but i did found some time to start tearing down the engine for this car, removing the engine wiring harness took some time, removing the covers, pulleys, brackets, hoses and the big thing i removed was the oil filter, cooler housing. The hole in the engine block was full of oil and coolant i had to separate the coolers to get it removed because the intake manifolds stick out but i managed to get it out, now i need to remove the fuel injectors, high pressure pump but removing common rail fuel injectors is not a simple task, i got a new can of penetrating oil and will be spraying the injectors over the next few days. Im still not asking myself why do i do this to my self.
IMG_20200219_205312.jpg IMG_20200220_203111_1.jpg IMG_20200220_203119.jpg

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Today i spent half a day fighting with the fuel injectors i used up an entire can of penetrating oil and lots of bruised ankles but thankfully they all come out undamaged and with all there copper seals, next on the schedule is to make blanking plates for all the openings and i'll like to pressurised the engine to see if i can found or hear air leaking.
IMG_20200222_152001.jpg IMG_20200222_151956.jpg IMG_20200222_151949.jpg

GoceKU

Registered
Registered
Well i'm at a crossroad, i made blanking plates and closed all openings and pressurised the engine block and did not find any hissing or leaking, i even took a stethoscope and probed all the cylinders i could not hear any leaking then i also pressure tested the EGR coolers both of them are also Ok no bubbles. Has anyone had any experience how to test or what to do. The Main symptoms Is pushing all the coolant out when i start the engine, also there is engine oil in the coolant but the oil cooler is leaking and is showing signs of bad O'Rings also there was a lot of oil leaking from it. Any thoughts, advice is much appreciated.
IMG_20200222_161228_1.jpg IMG_20200222_161232.jpg IMG_20200222_200103.jpg

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock