Goce's 06 twin turbo diesel peugeot

Some animal has torqued the hell out of it to try and stop it leaking...

Some animal has torqued the hell out of it to try and stop it leaking...

My thought is who ever assembled it did the last step tightening it 180 degrees twice on that bolt.

At this point I would tear it all the way down take it to a good machine shop to true up the the block and heads. I suppose you could try the glass plate and sandpaper route, but on a boosted diesel I would feel a lot better with a properly machined surface, done to the proper RA, for a good seal. This is one of those jobs you wouldn't want to have to do over. Cheers, Mike

Today i spent some considerable time cleaning both engine block head surfaces, started with a razer then moved to a soft brush used gasoline in a spray bottle and the top surface and tops of the pistons clean up very well inspected all the cylinder bores they all are perfect and looks to have low mileage the head gasket surface is not so nice, it has about 0,07 mm distortion and the previous head gasket has left marks around the cylinders deep enough to feel my finger. Now clean it can be seen where the head gasket was leaking is the dark spot. I still need to clean and check the heads, but is good news for now.
IMG_20200225_195922_1.jpgIMG_20200226_201103.jpgIMG_20200226_201046.jpgIMG_20200226_201119_1.jpg

Well is hard when you are a person that sticks out, i've spent almost 3 hours phoning all the machine shops, resurfacing the cylinder heads, no problem. But the engine block anyone can get it resurfice they have no 30 degree paralers only one shop has a machine that can do V engines but needs to be fully disassembled because it mounts to the main bearings. And the block definitely needs to be resurfaced because it higher at the blown gasket place.

Any decent shop will want it fully disassembled. Referencing off the crank journals is the proper way to do it.
Besides, getting it machined with the crank in is asking for all kinds of nasty in the bearings, bores and rings.

If it was an old school engine i'll have no trouble disassembling it, but this engine has a one time use magnetic crankshaft trigger ring that needs a special tool to be installed that no one around here has. So taking it all apart is not an option i want to explore, i can buy a second hand long block for a grand but they have no guarantee, i can install a engine with worse problems than i'm removing. i'm talking to couple of people that have experience dealing with american cars but even they say is hard to find a good machinist to do the work right.
s-l500.jpg

That's frustrating! Does it definitely need to be removed from the crankshaft to remove the crankshaft from the block?

One thing I've learned over the years is that pro engineers have often forgotten the art of creating oddball setups that hobby machinists would think nothing of. Can you do something crazy like support it on V blocks on exposed crank journals if you remove a couple of main bearing caps? Would be worth knocking up some brass or bronze blocks just for the job, I'd have thought. You'd need a big-ish mill, but nothing huge. Any members local to you might be up for a challenge? You're still into major grief getting it clean afterwards regardless, though. Or can you make an installation/removal tool for the ring?

Today i did i bit more disassembly on the engine. Removed the flex plate, timing belt tensioners and couple more things and managed to flip the block upside down and lot more oil and water come out. and finally i can see the magnetic trigger wheel and is on top and very bad design.
IMG_20200229_121849.jpgIMG_20200229_121902.jpg

Today i bought me a new set of impact sockets and put them to use right away. Started with removing the lower oil pan, 14 bolts and it come off, it uses a preform solid gasket. Then i started on the oil pickup, dipstick tube and upper oil pan. Then i bit decision time come, no machines wanted to resurface the desks with it assembled, so first thing i did is remove the back cover bolts and seen it doesn't have any thing holding it other then some silicone so i can remove it with the crank. So the oil pump come off then the pistons one by one. And in few hours the engine was apart, now i'm committed i'll be getting new seals and cleaning everything so i can repair it correctly.
IMG_20200301_174546.jpg
IMG_20200301_142328.jpgIMG_20200301_142340.jpgIMG_20200301_163558.jpgIMG_20200301_171118.jpgIMG_20200301_171147_1.jpg

Back