Goce's 06 twin turbo diesel peugeot

WOW, YIKES, and more!
Good thing that you are taking lots of pictures for when all those parts have to go back together.

Goce,

That's a big job!

Do you have a solution for the crankshaft magnetic trigger ring that may need special tools?
Can you leave it in place and work around it?

-brino

Yes Brino, that was the dicading task i've seen first that i can take it out intakt with the crank and because of that i decided to take it apart, you can see in the pictures i've taken together with the back seal and its cover otherwise i was looking at second hand engines which i found only 2 in my country they are about a grand just for the beair block with heads and i almost decided to cut my losses but the sellers wore very vague they did not know the mileage and would not guarantee them so i can be installing a worse engine then i already have.
IMG_20200301_171142.jpgIMG_20200301_171145.jpg

Today i started on striping the cylinder heads, someone has installed land rover glow plugs in them, they have the same engine but the glow plugs are a bit fatter in fact they are press fit. i spent lots of time, heating them, using couple of types of penetrating oil they all started to turn but won't come out i managed to get out one in the middle and broke the heads of the other two. I also marked all the caps with letters and removed the caps, rollers and hydraulic lifters. Been frustrated with the stuck glow plugs i welded the broken heads to the glow plug and stopped for today to let them cool down and my nerves take a rest.
IMG_20200303_183939.jpgIMG_20200303_183945.jpgIMG_20200303_195229.jpgIMG_20200303_195236.jpgIMG_20200303_195247.jpg

wow! that beautiful exterior sure was hiding a lot of unpleasant surprises! Still, if there's anyone who can fix something like this in a challenging environment, I'd nominate you for sure :)

Today i stopped by a hardware store, bought me couple of things for cleaning the parts once i get them machined also bought couple of sheets of plastic i may have to make a clean room for assembly.
IMG_20200302_191256.jpg

Today i spent some considerable time fighting with the stuck glow plugs, both ones i welded on the right head broke and are not moving even with heat or a 3 Kg sliding hummer. So i started on the other head, the middle glow plug come out with some effort but the back one again in old fusion broke with no effort, so with that in mind i started to work on the first one and with a lot more effort it also come out, i also disassembled the entire left head cams lifters caps rollers everything marked and removed in order.
IMG_20200304_201708.jpgIMG_20200304_201727_1.jpg

Today was one of those days one step forward three steps backwards, all started few days ago with 3 glow plugs snapping on me. First i thought someone had hummerd in the wrong plugs in because they are very tight fit to the point they make the cracking noise like when loosening a very tight bolt all the way to the end. But after a bit of cleaning on the holes that glow plugs come out they are full of carbon that is sto hard it needs a drill bit to clean out. I tried soaking the rest of the broken pics with couple of different solvents to dissolve the carbon but no luck i weld on nuts, it will move a little then break off i've done it so many times i lost count. At the end i got my cordless drill and drilled them out. Drilling them was a bit hard it is had metal, but after a few hours i finally managed to knock them out i took a picture of what was left after i removed them wat was left on the table and packed both heads in a big banana box to take them the the machine shop.
IMG_20200307_155726.jpgIMG_20200307_155743.jpg

Well the Machine shop called, "your block is done" - What about the heads, -Oh forgot i'll put them on the machine right now you can start heading over. So i went there, i had a hell of a time to drive to the other side of skopje because of the coronavirus, because they are located near couple of the hospitals in the main city. I had to go thru couple of parking lots, jump couple of sidewalks and by passed the police blocks. When i got to the machine shop they were surprised how i've gotten a car pass the road blocks. The machine shop had done a good job resurfacing both engine blok and heads, they also checked the bores and main caps its all in specs i loaded them up also couple of the guys that worked there and headed back i dropped off the guys in the city centre. You can see one head has less material taking off because it was resurfaced once before and they made them even. The price for their work was 50$ which isn't too expensive but if it was a straight 4 or 6 it would been 15$.
IMG_20200312_093905.jpgIMG_20200312_093817.jpgIMG_20200312_093954.jpg

Today i started with cleaning the engine block for this car. Started by making an adapter and mounting it on an engine stand that i recently made. Now i can see it at an eye level and turn it all around i can see some interesting design details, it has very thin main reebs with 6 bolts holding them, the caps are pretty biffy and the bottom is very open, it also has channels cast in the outside walls to the oil to drain from the heads, that you can see my finger in one of the turbo oil drain, this requires a special gasket that is more like a spacer than a classic gasket. After admiring the design i set up couple of tires pans to catch the diesel fuel i'll be using to clean this block. I used new razors blades brass brash stoft brash 3M abrasive pads to scrub every inch of the block inside and out, the engine was pretty clear to start with but as i clean it i started to see some familiar details it reminded me of the american 6.7 powerstroke. And now as i was going to write this thread i did a bit of looking and found out that in fact is an Ford engine, the same found in the new Ford F 150 3.0 powerstroke so be aware if you own one. Never the less as i was finishing with the cleaning i cut open 6 pepsi bottles and stacked all of my pistons in them and filled them with diesel fuel and will let them sit to break down the carbon on them as for cleaning the block i'll be back tomorrow to do one more phase of cleaning it with petrol.
IMG_20200316_121036.jpgIMG_20200316_121252.jpgIMG_20200316_123336.jpgIMG_20200316_123344.jpgIMG_20200316_123349.jpgIMG_20200316_181943.jpgIMG_20200316_184405_1.jpgIMG_20200316_195852.jpgIMG_20200316_180002.jpg

Back