Goce's 06 twin turbo diesel peugeot

Why is it that european cars are so hard to work on and french definitely the worst.

Many of european cars are FWD and the engine, gearbox is in a confined place. But many because all car makers are using the same part in 20 models in different configuration which makes it hard to replace it if it goes bad. In other words part design for longitudinal engine configuration is going to fit in a horizontal engine configuration but it will be very hard to access or replace.

FWIW, some diesels are designed with EGR coolers. Corrosive exhaust is piped through a water cooled radiator. Inevitably the corrosive gas under turbo back pressure eats through the cooler, pressurizes the coolant system and blows out all the coolant. BTDT; should have eliminated that system instead of replacing the cooler.

jack vines

Yeah, Jack, this car has two electric EGR valves with coolers, i've tested them they are OK i plan to slip blok off plates to keep the engine clean on the inside. And from past expirence i know bloking them helps with turbo spool and in older cars makes them faster;)

Today was a long day in the garage, i managed to clean off both cylinder heads and torque them down to the block, they are no joke to get them torqued. Just as i was washing my hands to finish for the day the parts store called, my timing belts have arrived i also bought new glow plugs for the ones i broke, and a new CV boot for the drivers side axle. Because of the coronavirus my city is getting shut down, i hope the rest of my parts and tires arrived, so i can finish this car. Also i'm getting a bit worried about the adapter for the engine stand i made, the engine is getting taller and heavier by the day, i'm not sure is it up to the task to hold all the weight i need to build it out completely to have less work in the car and heavy stuff like both turbos, pre cats, pumps, manifolds are heavy.
IMG_20200324_133624.jpgIMG_20200324_150228.jpgIMG_20200324_160818.jpg

Today i continued with building the engine assemblies and mounting them to the engine, first on the list was the fuel, oil cooler and filter housing, i assemble them on my bench and installed a new oil filter. But did not mount it until i installed and torqued the glow plugs, then i mounted it and began assembling the thermostat housing i made on my lathe, you can see i cut and weld the pipe at 90 degrees and apply some 2K epoxy on the joints just in case. Then mounted the entire assembly on the engine. Next on the list is assembling the valve train which is very hard on the hands, i need to pump out all of the 24 hydraulic lifters, then i have to clean all the roller, rockers, cams, chen's, tensioners, oil seals, caps sprockets. My hands hurt just thinking about it.
IMG_20200325_185632.jpgIMG_20200325_200933.jpgIMG_20200325_200941_1.jpg

Today was one of those days many small things and my hands hurt for real. I clean all 24 lifters, roller rockers, camshafts and all their caps. I installed all of them torqued them to specs installed all new seals seal on specified places, i used engine oil on all bearing surfaces. Last thing i mounted was the high pressure fuel pump on the back of the engine and at this point i'm worried about the engine breaking the mount and falling on the ground. I also need to find or buy a timing belt locking kit, because of adjustable cam sprockets is not as easy as lining up the dots also the crankshaft pully has no key.
IMG_20200326_141433.jpgIMG_20200326_141438.jpg

Curious how you change that filter without dumping its contents in the valley??

Just about every car, truck, boat, engine or machine has at least one design feature that is of very poor design. Typical is an item that has to be serviced, that is hard to get at. I can recall many that had hard to get injectors, spark plugs. adjusting bolts for belts, chains and pulleys. Drain pugs. There are more but that will do.

Today it was entertaining morning talking to couple of tool companies, i need a timing kit for the engine on my 607 so at first a ask to rent it they wanted like 150$ WTF, then i ask to buy a kit its 400$, so i asked for a picture to see what i'm buying at that price. And i could see cut marks that the tools are home made and the box is generic. So i google the kit number and released they have coped a kit and are selling copies, i did call them back and ask are they genuine, the guy said yes so i started to ask him other questions and he released i'm not buying the kit or his stories, and as a truth salesman comes back you know i can sell it half price if you buy it today. I told him nice try and good luck. But seeing the picture there is not many complicated items in it, main parts are 3 pins so i took measurements of the engine and made me a kit. I used my hand knurling tool, a bit of machining on my lathe and made this, and they fit perfect.
IMG_20200326_210743.jpgIMG_20200326_211300.jpgIMG_20200328_130217.jpgIMG_20200328_130228.jpgIMG_20200328_130612.jpg

Back