Goce's 06 twin turbo diesel peugeot

There is Snow outside in April and i cannot go and drive in it, my city is in complete lockdown because of the coronavirus. So only thing i can do is rest or work in my workshop. I chose to get done as much as i can on the 607 to finish it, started with what remember being hard. Installing the starter motor, that took 2 hours, so did every other ancillary but now i had lots more time and after a 16 hour shift i was tired. There are couple more things to assemble and i can attempt on starting it. To see if i've assembled everything right and if my timing marks are correct.
IMG_20200403_133334.jpgIMG_20200403_133338.jpg

Back in 2014 I purchased a Mazda 6 "Speed Wagon" for my daughter. I knew that there was an issue with the engine but the everything else was like new. Turns out that the front cat had plugged and blew a hole through one of the pistons (there are 4 catalytic converters on that car and they are prone to plugging). A little research and discovered that a Ford Fusion engine would fit if the timing cover, intake and exhaust were swapped with the old motor.
So, I drove to Iowa (about 5 hours each way) to a salvage yard that had a whole Ford Fusion motor for $600. I pulled the whole front clip off the car and swapped motors. Neighbor came over at the beginning and just shook his head. 3 weeks later it was done. First turn of the key and it started right up. Daughter drove it for a while but since I put a set of headers on it, she thought it was too loud and I ended up selling it for just slightly more than I had into it.

I continue to be amazed at your ambition and progress on this project. I've been wrenching on cars casually for sixty years and if someone told me I had to R&R&R that Peugeot, I'd say, "Just shoot me now!"

jack vines

Back in 2014 I purchased a Mazda 6 "Speed Wagon" for my daughter. I knew that there was an issue with the engine but the everything else was like new. Turns out that the front cat had plugged and blew a hole through one of the pistons (there are 4 catalytic converters on that car and they are prone to plugging). A little research and discovered that a Ford Fusion engine would fit if the timing cover, intake and exhaust were swapped with the old motor.
So, I drove to Iowa (about 5 hours each way) to a salvage yard that had a whole Ford Fusion motor for $600. I pulled the whole front clip off the car and swapped motors. Neighbor came over at the beginning and just shook his head. 3 weeks later it was done. First turn of the key and it started right up. Daughter drove it for a while but since I put a set of headers on it, she thought it was too loud and I ended up selling it for just slightly more than I had into it.

Yeah, Ford used, mazda petrol engines in there passenger cars for a good reason, these old Zetec engines suck. My brother drives a Mondeo with a mazda engine good engine bad surroundings. Changing engines is not that hard i've done it many times, it takes time often parts are not available in time. Rebuilding an engine and removing and installing is much more difficult. The worst is when you change an engine and the one you install is worse then one you took out.

It's alive, It did take some time to finish all the small items around the engine, filling the engine with coolant, power steering with ATF and the engine with oil. I did had some leaks with cooling system but was able to change couple of hose clamps and get it to seal. At first i disconnect all fuel injectors and crank it to build up oil pressure, then i connected the injectors and tried starting it, few cranks in the battery died. Went and grab the battery from the 605 installed it and it fired up right away, it had a check engine light, checked the codes with its on board diagnostic computer, it has stored codes for every injector that i unplugged clear them and it stayed off. I run the engine for an hour until got up to temp and turn on the radiator fans and shut it down. I have few more thing to assemble and disassemble to get it completely fixed and get it on its wheels.
IMG_20200403_160642.jpgIMG_20200403_160650.jpgIMG_20200403_160809.jpgIMG_20200403_162128.jpg

It looks like a nicely finished job, almost like new one.

I know what you are saying with the replacement engine not as good as the old. I once had a 1976 Toyota Crown 2600 carbureted engine,3 speed auto. it was a real sludge box. I had also bought a 20Ft tandem caravan. The guy that sold me the caravan said that the car would not tow it, and he ws right, it was ok , sort of on the flat. I went to a mechanic friend and he helped me fit it up with water injection and it went like a train on a couple of occasions covering a 400 mile yes british miles, in 8 hours including going through towns and fuel stops. That's an average of 50 MPH.At times I got it up to 140MPH.

The motor had worked hard and at 180,000m I had it stripped down and rebuilt, same mechanic. Another 160,000m and it was having trouble overheating , losing coolant. Pulled it down again. and it was too far gone, head was badly warped and so was the block. So we decided a new second hand motor, couldn't get a decent 2600 so got a 2800, but it was fuel injected and electronic ignition. pulled all the electronic gear off fitted the old manifold and carby plugged injector ports threw the computer out, and away we went.

Only it was never as good as the old one, It pulled the van ok, certainly better than a standard crown would have, but never quite had the power of the first one., and damm , it used more fuel. The original was steady at 11 MPG but this was down to 10 MPG, and maybe even 9.5. That's a lot of petrol to be pouring through a 26-2800 motor plus one litre of water per 15 litres of fuel.

Eventually sold both car and van, but had a lot of fun over the years

Congratulations Goce!
That's a huge step forward.

Well done, and thanks for bringing us along.
-brino

The motor had worked hard and at 180,000m I had it stripped down and rebuilt, same mechanic. Another 160,000m and it was having trouble overheating , losing coolant. Pulled it down again. and it was too far gone, head was badly warped and so was the block. So we decided a new second hand motor, couldn't get a decent 2600 so got a 2800, but it was fuel injected and electronic ignition. pulled all the electronic gear off fitted the old manifold and carby plugged injector ports threw the computer out, and away we went.

Only it was never as good as the old one, It pulled the van ok, certainly better than a standard crown would have, but never quite had the power of the first one., and damm , it used more fuel. The original was steady at 11 MPG but this was down to 10 MPG, and maybe even 9.5. That's a lot of petrol to be pouring through a 26-2800 motor plus one litre of water per 15 litres of fuel.

Yeah, we never got those engines here, we are a very small country, at that time we had Zastava's and Lada's, with 0,7 to 1,6L engines, but 10 MPG is not bad on a carbureted engine if its city driving, i'm getting 15l / 100km on the little niva, but most of the time i'm full throttle off roading or traffic light to traffic light accelerating. If you want good fuel economy get an old mechanical Diesel or a modern 2015 and up small petrol car.
12-7CM-9-2CM-High-Gas-Consumption-Decal-Fuel-Gage-Empty-Stickers-Funny-Vinyl-JDM-Car.jpg_640x640.jpg

Last edited:
Today was a very long day in the big garage, all the small items add up to a long day. Started with dropping the drivers side suspension to remove the axle, and taking the axle apart. The dust boot was ripped so i disassembled the Cv joint and clean it all up to its components. Assembled it and fill it with good quality russian graphite grease, the new boot come with some clear grease, very thin staff, i'm not using that. assemble it, re use the factory claps they are thicker, the new one was not that good. Then came the grilling job of mounting the front bumper inner fenders i had to clean out the windscreen washer bottle and pumps, it was leaking on a seal. And lower it on the ground, in the rear i installed the spare tire because is has a steel rim and it has a big central hole, the wheel bearing on drivers side was making some noise now is the time to change it. That is a good and bad thing, because of the coronavirus all the stores are are closed, i do have a rear axle from a 605, they should be the same, but i think the abs sensor is different also the bearing is 28 years old and has lots of mileage, i'll check it first.
IMG_20200405_145210.jpgIMG_20200405_150957.jpgIMG_20200405_151927_1.jpgIMG_20200405_190247.jpgIMG_20200405_190306.jpg

Back