Going to look at a Clausing 5914 lathe and things that I should check

Tim9 , good point about the available used parts if the mill ever needed some . I hope to take my wife's uncle , a retired machinist with me when I go . Sometimes I see things through " rose colored glasses "

If I do get the mill and lathe he said he can load it , was thinking of setting them on 2x6 or 2x8 planks this way I could tie them down for the ride home then I could lag into the boards , my trailer has a drop gate and also tilts if needed and just pull them off ? I do have a Kubota BX23 that would never lift even either but I could put bucket on the trailer bed and if I could get the mill into it I could just keep the bucket in " float " and back down the tailgate . Open to any ideas , thanks

Lathes are very top heavy, and you want to be very careful here. I disassembled mine to get it down to man-handleable pieces. Same with the mill.
Total weight of the 5914 is around 1200#. The mill is probably a bit less, maybe 700-800#.

If taken whole you should lag together a sled using some 4x4 stock perpendicular to the bed through the feet to combat the tipping.
Lag 2x8 stock under this in the other direction and you could potentially use pipes as rollers under it.
Make sure nobody puts a sling under the feed screw or it will be destroyed.

If you remove the head and table from the mill and lower the knee all the way down it will be somewhat stable.

I could also drill some holes through the floor above the garage and run a chain around a 4x4 crossing the joists , then use my chain hoist .

Bought them both even though he didn't power them up . He said he bought the lathe as a " running machine " so we're going to see how honest that seller was .My wife's uncle looked them over with me . He loaded them with a good size farm tractor , slings over the bucket forks on my trailer . I end up just putting plenty of ratchet binders on them for the ride home . Getting them off was a little figuring . Put the mill in the bucket and ratcheted it in on my Kubota , had just enough lifting capacity to get it off and inside . The lathe was a little harder , put the headstock end in the bucket strapped it in them with plywood under the tailstock end backed it down the tailgate ramp once we tilted the trailer . It's more then the tractor could lift but I was just kind of dragging the bucket down the ramp . I'll need to clean out a spot to put them but got them within a few feet of their new home in the garage . Where they are at I'll be able to give them a good cleaning

Awesome stuff @Alcap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep us posted on the progress ( especially the lathe) . I'll be tearing mine apart in April .

Here’s the pictures you asked for . Not sure where the best place to put them along the wall with the window and corner to the right ?

Attachments

• 98034EC8-0718-49D4-AE5D-05937ED421D5.jpeg
    98034EC8-0718-49D4-AE5D-05937ED421D5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • 7D61BD73-9DA6-4289-AE7E-92DBFA111C78.jpeg
    7D61BD73-9DA6-4289-AE7E-92DBFA111C78.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
I'll post a pic of the 5917 tomorrow . If you ever get tired of that 5914 , look me up . :)

Back