Going to need some help here. ......

Looks like a chuck and a sensitive drill feed shaft. Why is the shaft spring loaded?
The idea is that, when using very small drill bits, the feed arms on a drill press are just too coarse, and don't provide anywhere near the tactile feedback you need to drill safely. With the sensitive chuck mounted in the chuck of the drill press, and using the ring to advance the bit into the work, you can sense how the drill is doing. It's lightly spring loaded upward to help withdraw the drill bit from the hole (just as the drill press quill is spring loaded upward). I've used these, and "sensitive" is indeed the operative word.

That's a fine assortment of doodads and doohickeys.

Definitely worth a Benjamin in my book. There's probably a few pieces that would have cost you that by themselves and you never know when you'll need some special tool which you now own. Plus, the old stuff was just made better and if you put it back to work that's conservation in the best way.

Cheers,

John

Conservation indeed. But sad conservation. Google the name found on several of the tools and I found he passed away last fall. Hopefully I use his tools the way he did.

Conservation indeed. But sad conservation. Google the name found on several of the tools and I found he passed away last fall. Hopefully I use his tools the way he did.

I'm sure he would have liked nothing better than knowing his tools are in the hands of someone who will continue to use them. I have lots of tools left me by my late father and use them with pride daily :)

John

Back