Golf ball mortar

eugene13

Registered
Registered
I've always wanted to build one, and i guess the stars aligned; I started out with some 2 7/8 conveyor head shaft, the 1 1/2 drill at 60 rpm makes the lathe howl, I have another inch deeper to go, the bore will finish at 1.68. Black powder or Pyrodex, that is the question.

Attachments

• IMG_0905.JPG
    IMG_0905.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 106
I use black powder in mine. with the wide bore, it is pretty easy to wash out

Most construction workers have made a potato launcher. Mine would send a potato further than the eye could follow. What fun.

I'm not sure what kind of range a ball launched from one of these might have but I recall being hit by a golf ball hit from the tee box on a golf course and receiving some serious injury.
Food for thought on usage.

I used to launch golf balls out of a pipe propelled by blockbusters (1/4 sticks ) . I never found a one of them ! :big grin:

I'm not sure what kind of range a ball launched from one of these might have but I recall being hit by a golf ball hit from the tee box on a golf course and receiving some serious injury.
Food for thought on usage.
Lots of open area around where I live, I'll be careful, like any gun, don't point it at anything you don't want to kill.

Lots of fun. Shot many a golf ball off the AR launchers [w/blanks], and used to launch beer cans from seamless tubes w/35mm film cans full of BP. Both would launch to "out-of-sight" distances......better to know what's beyond the hill if you let one fly.

Back