Golf ball mortar

In this day and age you had best check the laws on firearms on the legality of your mortar. Anything that ejects a projectile by an explosive charge is considered a firearm.

What about propane?
I've never built one or even been around one but remember hearing about potato guns that were propane.

Wouldn't think it would have the power of powder, but would sure be convenient.

What about propane?
I've never built one or even been around one but remember hearing about potato guns that were propane.

A search will give you hours of reading about fellow crazoids learning what to do and not to do with propane cannons.

jack vines

You would need to get a legal opinion on what is considered to be an explosive charge. In most state you can build a legal firearm for your own personal use. I don't know if a mortar is a legal firearm.

What about propane?

I'm a plumber so we used acetelyne. Much much more boom! :p

I'm a plumber so we used acetelyne

Yes heard of that and butane also.
The rub with all of those is straight they are much weaker than with the right amount of air? Is that correct?
With acetylene you could just add oxygen easily....When one gets to that point the powder is starting to look like the safer option, as long as one starts with a small enough charge.

My potato launcher has a ball valve for gas introduction, I just open the valve and my torch and let it fill. Close the valve and it's charged. I epoxied a grill lighter in my launcher, 1 click and goodbye potato. Shot some potatoes into our construction (shipping) storage container years ago and dented the end wall of the container. Vaporized the potatoes.

You would need to get a legal opinion on what is considered to be an explosive charge. In most state you can build a legal firearm for your own personal use. I don't know if a mortar is a legal firearm.

As long as the charge and the projectile are 2 separate parts and not housed in a metal cartridge this would fall under the definition of a muzzle loader and not a firearm, Muzzle loaders are completely unregulated. But if it was a firearm it would still be legal to own and build as long as its 26" or longer and not full auto..... lol

Your not in California you will have no problems with that....

Last edited:
I think what @mickri is suggesting is to Google the words ATF and destructive device together before going further. This is where good fun intersects with federal felony if you're not careful.

I think what @mickri is suggesting is to Google the words ATF and destructive device together before going further. This is where good fun intersects with federal felony if you're not careful.

Good point. My cousin's boyfriend years ago (army demolitions) made pipe bombs for fun. He would blow them up on the other side of a pond dam. Back in the 80's btw, since big brother just noticed this post. Tremendous boom but no way in the world would any sane person do that today, no matter how far out in the country you are.

Back