Golly, do I ever feel DUMB right now!

gr8legs

Active User
Rest In Peace
My recent acquisition of a brand new in the box Freight Harbor heavy duty 1/2" air impact wrench was an eye opener - and in more ways than one!

The magical tool:
Shocks_2.jpg

and on the back there is a 3-position valve for varying the amount of air supplied to the 'business end' of the tool.

Dumb_2.jpg

Very cool, gave a rough indication of how much 'oomph' the beastie was going to apply to a fastener.

And I thought to myself "Why didn't anyone do that sooner? I've been around similar air tools since I was in knee pants and never paid a lot of attention when someone was using one. Either 'on' or 'off' was my impression. Maybe 60+ years ago that was the way it was. Well, here is where the 'dumb' part is. I looked at all my 3 other impact wrenches variously acquired at garage sales and thrift shopping and right there next to the air inlet was a black knurled knob. Very black - I figured it was an air filter or something else not to be messed with - and in my defense, as I said the knobs were painted solid black.

Taking a wire brush to the black paint on the 'air filter' revealed some markings on the knob - lo and behold, they were throttling valves for the tool.

Dumb_3.jpg Dumb_4.jpg

I'm sure everyone else on this forum knew about this magical control and I should just keep my mouth shut - but if you had a similar upbringing to me then my 'dumb moment' may be instructive. (And you don't have to admit not knowing it because I already did).

Even at that, with the old tools I didn't get as much torque as the new HF wrench put out so it's a win-win!

<blushing>

Stu

Well I guess I'm eligible for the dumb club then. Just checked my impact driver after reading your post and saw the numbers on the knob.
Seems like I set it at maximum over 30 years ago and forgot about it. Up to now I have been regulating line pressure at the compressor to adjust the driver.

Throughout high school, I used my dads drill press a good bit. The ones we had in school shop, had a big dial on the front for speed. My Dads did not have that, so I always thought it was just a single speed. Later in life, I saw an add that showed the pulleys at the top, hidden under a flip up cover. Boy did I feel dumb. Next time I visited my Dad, I slipped down to his shop, to look, and low and behold, it had the same cover.

Hi Stu,

I'm glad you didn't feel too "dumb" (your word!) to post.
It takes a big person to admit their mistakes, and own them.

I looked at all my 3 other impact wrenches variously acquired at garage sales and thrift shopping

So NO manuals for them likely either.

I should just keep my mouth shut

Thanks for NOT!

-brino

Stu, just blame it on all the smog from the fires. Seriously, how's your end of Oregon doing. Here, we finally got to see more than 2 blocks. And then it started to smog up again. There is a fire north of Ukiah (Sigh).

Thoughts and prayers for all you folks on the west coast dealing with all the fires. I just can’t imagine seeing total communities wiped out by fire.
Be safe

Well your not the only one that feels dumb. Actually way more than dumb. Dumb****

Working on a 7 start thread for a speedometer drive gear today and got my 7 starts, think I got pitch correct, everything looked good as far as measurements go, program runs great. 2:10 run time. Gear blank is about $1.50. Far better than my present cost of $30 each.

But the matching driven gear didn't mesh correctly.

After 5 test parts I realized it's a left hand thread.

Duh George, which way does it turn??? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
fwiw:
the pros only use the max setting and use the finger to govern the torque

Back