Good Idea?

I didn't think so either.

I've ran similar setups many times with no drama. As long as I set the cutting edges of both tools at a common centerline and I've had two screws holding each tool, it's always seemed to work fine. It looks like the tool pointing away from the lathe in this photo is only held by only one screw, which I will avoid.

Maybe, if 2 things were different, maybe 3. That's way too much stick out for that brazed carbide tool bit. If it were shorter, then maybe but maybe not.

Chances are the tool heights for those 2 tools aren't the same. I'm assuming you are using the carbide tool bit for chamferring. If yes then having that tool exactly on centerline if not critical but it should be some what close to the same cutting height as the indexable tool. You could always shim it too.

Having a second tool bit might arguably be a safety hazard. I don't mind it as long as it's not sticking out like in the pic. Some tool posts setups have 2-4 tool bits mounted in them anyway.

I have the same style brazed carbide tool bits used for chamferring. I have 2 mounted in 2 different holders that are setup for both orientations on my QCTP. They're the same exact size so I've been meaning to just mount them in 1 tool holder back to back also. But I have plenty of tool holders still so I don't care.

Lots of maybes that I said in this post, so I say maybe, I don't oppose it, except for that stick out.

Not even maybe for me, that second tool with one screw close to the edge and ridiculous overhang is a disaster waiting to happen. Can't imagine why this set up would even have a purpose.

Edit: By purpose I mean what could be accomplished with the brazed carbide tool set up like in the picture.

Last edited:
The purpose is after turning with the indexable tool, you flip the tool holder & mount it on the back side of the QCTP & use the second tool bit for chamferring, works for OD & ID. Saves a little time & a tool holder.

Been done, they even make QC tool holders like that already integrated. But the example here is poorly executed. So I still say maybe but with the ifs that I mentioned.

I say cut the tool bit in half or at least 1/4 of it, find that other screw, shim if needed, & call it a day.

DK I agree with you if the question is about how to properly mount two tools in one holder when the situation warrants it.
But if the question is whether the set up shown is a good idea, and not about how to make it right, then do you still say maybe? Would you even try that set up as is?

Last edited:
Chop the shanks off a bunch so each tool sticks out just enough to do its job. I've done it on bigger tools and seen it at places I've worked at. Save having to buy additional Aloris tool holders in the bigger sizes. In the smaller AXA and BXA sizes, holders are cheap and really no need to do this. I also have a Aloris combo holder, I think it's a BXA-16 that holds TP_ style inserts. Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify my earlier statements on this, the setup as pictured has some serious shortcomings and more a safety hazard than anything else. The concept, however, is quite valid and I've used it numerous times over the years. A big part of this job is all about using your imagination to minimize setup time and living long enough to be able to determine what's safe and effective versus what's not. For instance, I have one internal threading tool used for threading suppressor tubes that will also face off the tube and chamfer both the OD and ID. I got tired of all that swapping out of tool holders so I ground up a tool that covers all four operations. Looks like nothing you'll see in a textbook, I suspect.

Back