Good Resource for Books On Steam Power

G

Grumpy Gator

Forum Guest
Register Today
This is a free site I use to download stuff.
Internet Archive
www.archive.org
Cick on "Open Library" scroll to "Subjects" click on "Steam Engins" part of steam engins, space flight.
There is 492 titles avalable some you can read on line some you can download to a E-book.
Hope this helps.
"Universal Access to All Knowledge"
**********Just Saying********************G**************:eek:uch:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gator for this link. I did some looking around. They have LOTS of interesting stuff in addition to steam engine publications.

I have been interested in steam engine design for a number of years. I find it interesting to read through old textbooks and see how the forefathers solved their problems with the materials and processes that they had available.

Here are a few more resources for those interested in design and details of engines. Most of these are old engineering texts, so the authors assume that the reader has some background in math, physics, thermodynamics, etc. I think the average machinist would be able to get through these without too much problem. Plus, like most textbooks, they give you all the hairy theory first - and lastly give you the plain-language results. All of the textbooks have lots of interesting drawings and diagrams of engines, boilers, and support equipment of the time. All of these are available for free from Google eBooks. (I would attach PDFs of these books, but they are fairly large and I am not sure of the legal implications of reproducing the text). I have attached links to the on-line books.

One of the classics is:
William Ripper's "Steam-engine Theory and Practice," Longmans, Green & Co, London. The last edition was the sixth, published in 1912.
http://www.google.com/books?id=KYJMAAAAMAAJ
If the thermodynamics of the first three chapters are distasteful to you, go straight to:
Chapter IV which has a great treatise on slide valves, valve linkages, and reversing mechanisms.
Chapter VII does a great job of introducing compound (2 expansion) engines.
Chapter XI does a good job of covering the various types of feed injectors - with lots of diagrams.
Chapter XVII on "Engine Details" is probably the most interesting to model builders. I covers a multitude of engine details that the forefathers used: pistons, rings, seals, connecting rod and cross head designs, etc.
Most interesting to me is the different designs of engines for different applications: Mill, Marine, and Locomotive.
Chapter XXI covers large stationary engines (referred to as "Mill" engines)
Chapter XXII does a good job of the Corliss engine, its history, application and details (mostly used on mill engines)
Chapter XXIII has a very interesting coverage of "quick revolution engines." This was the steam engine trying to compete in the electric generating business where the steam turbine had a foothold early on. Some of these engine designs start to look a lot like gasoline engines.
Chapter XXIV and XXV cover marine engines and locomotive engines respectively

For historical interest on the development of the steam engine and then basic steam engineering:
J.A. Ewing's "The Steam-engine and Other Heat-engines," Cambridge University Press. The edition available here is the second, published 1897.
Only a little calculus here and there. Lots of good practical discussion on engine design of the day.
Chapter VI has an especially detailed discussion on indicators, the various designs, and their history.
Chapter VIII has a detailed review of the graphical solution for valve linkage design. Skip this unless you are interested. Those of use who date back to the days before computer simulated design remember when a drafting table was used to solve linkage problems like this.
Chapter XI gives a pretty good summary of boiler designs of the period.
Chapter XII includes a review of the Parsons Turbine - which quickly replaced steam engines in marine and electric generating applications.
Chapter XIII has an interesting review of "Air Engines" meaning Stirling, Ericcson, and Rider type of engines.
Chapter XIV even goes into the (then new) internal combustion engine - gaseous and oil fueled engines.

For those interested in marine engines, try the English translation of :
Dr. G. Bauer, "Marine Engines and Boilers,"
Norman W. Henley Publishing, New York. The edition available here is the 1905 edition of the German 1902 edition.
Again, a fair amount of math and thermodynamics scattered about, but some very interesting tables comparing different ships of the day with their boiler and engine designs. One chapter on propeller design (of that period). A number of photographs of engines and boilers of the day.

My favorite marine engine textbook is an American version:
Edward M. Bragg, "Marine Engine Design," Van Nostrand, New York. Last published in 1911.
Bragg was a professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Michigan. Like all good profs, he has to throw around a certain amount of math and thermo, but this book is very readable. He includes lots of "rules of thumb" and general design rules which are pretty easy to follow. He walks through the entire design of a marine engine including determining the metal thickness of various engine components. Lots of drawings, charts and sample design calculations.

If you are into steam tractors, try:
Eighinger and Hutton's "Steam Traction Engineeering," Appleton & Co, New York. Published 1916.
No math or thermo.
Mostly an operator's handbook for various types of engines.
Great review of how the various manufacturers addressed the issues of a low-cost, compact, engine that could be afforded by a farmer or a group of farmers.
This could probably still serve as a good text for someone wanting to learn to operate an antique steam tractor.

Thanks twstoerzinger, downloade the pdf file for Steam Engine Theory and Practice.... can't wait to read. You guys may already know, but here is a site http://grabcad.com/ where 3D steam models, and other engines are free to download. They have many 3D models and are a free resource.... Best wishes, Norman

Back