Good small knurls?

Sblack

Registered
Registered
I am building the hemingway straddle knurling tool. I have to make a decision on what size knurling wheels to use before I cut metal. It is designed for 1/2" dia x 3/16" wide x 1/4" hole dia. knurls. Can anyone ecommend a source for reasonable quakity knurls this size? Accutrak makes nice ones but they are $31us each. I'm sure if I was doing production work they would be worth it but I'm not. Any suggestions welcome.

The ones you can get from Hemingway are quality wheels.

Rephrase the question, "I want a useful tool that costs virtually nothing"
In this quest your best bet will be alibaba.com, you may be able to score several knurling wheels for less then a ground shattering $31.00.

If this does not work contact me and I will give you a handful of the most common sized wheels, 3/4" D X 3/8" W X 1/4" D bore.
Specify the pitch and angle.

I suggest you contact Form Roll Die Corp. They sell small knurls for fair prices and will bevel the edges of their knurls to facilitate axial running. They make good quality stuff.

ddicky do you know where they source them from? They only offer 2 pitches - one straight and one diamond. I would likely want the option of getting others if I knew the supplier. I have looked at Roll Die Corp, interestingly they are in the same small town as accu-trak used to be (I'm sure there is a story there) but they don't have the size of knurls that the tool is designed for. But if I decide to go that route I can change the design. Their prices are fair. Still reviewing options.

I have built the Hemmingway an bought all the knurls I wanted from them. High quality and fair price. The knurls are square shoulder not radius edge.

I made the sensitive knurling tool. Same size wheels I think. They are made in Britain good quality. I wanted some coarse wheels and I could not find them. An odd width. I ended up making another knurler with convex type wheels, really nice. Can't remember where I bought them but are US made.

I have a few hundred knurls . Whatcha looking for ? I have a full set of Accutracs from msc never used and I'll never use them , along with drawers of other sets .

Hey Dave, I have an Eagle Rock knurler that uses 3/4" OD X 3/8" W X 1/4" hole knurls. I could use a pair of convex Accu-Trak knurls, circular pitch, in both straight and diamond patterns. If you have some, let me know and we can maybe see if you want to get rid of them?

Hold on . Couple of pics coming .

Back