Good starting dial indicators

JMBrewer

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
While I'm waiting on my lathe to get delivered in January (hopefully), I'm taking the time to start picking up some basic things to get my hobby shop up and running. I was wondering what some good starting dial indicators might be. I'm sure there's a lot of ways to go but just want a starting place (size, brand, etc.). Thanks for any advice

My favorites are Ames and Federal. I pick them up off of E-bay when I find really nice ones. For low priced knock around everyday work I like the Shars brand.

What sizes do you seem to use the most? 0-1in or smaller range like 0-.250?

What sizes do you seem to use the most? 0-1in or smaller range like 0-.250?

On the lathe, I most commonly use 0-1” dial indicator for measuring carriage movement, and either that or a dial test indicator for centering a part with the 4-jaw.

On the mill, most commonly a dial test indicator in the indicol holder to tram the vise or a part. I have a dual 1” indicator tram tool for the head.

Also - I’ve found buying from eBay hasn’t been the best. I’ve gotten a number of indicators that have sticky motion. Maybe they weren’t described as perfect and I should have known better. But I’ve had better luck buying from people on forums, where there’s a little more accountability.

I’m not sure I’ve bought a new indicator but I’d trust Shars or something from Little Machine Shop.

Speaking of Sticky Dial indicators.... Quinn aka Blondiehacks recently posted a video on disassembly and cleaning dial indicators.

For aligning the tail stock on a new lathe with a test bar or commercial alignment bars like they sell on shars would it be better to go with a dial test indicator or would the a regular dial indicator be fine? I guess it just depends on the width of the machined edge your trying to measure? Again, thanks for this info. I’m just getting started and this is great info

It often seems easier to get a DTI where I want it. They just don’t have much travel. Also seems more common to have a DTI with tenths resolution (0.0001”), though I have a digital “dial” indicator with half that.

You are going to need both types at some point. Buy them as the need arises.

Back