Good starting dial indicators

Starting out, I’d want one DTI and one 1” dial indicator. And a single-knob, articulating-arm magnetic base. Unfortunately, what they say about Noga holders is true; they are much better than the copies. But no way was I going to spend $80-100 on one when I was getting started. I came across one eventually and I do love it but you can do okay with an imitation.

I've got a couple of these Harbor Freight 0-1" indicators. I have been really surprised at the level of quality.

DTI.jpg

If you want total frustration try and use China made indicators. This is one area you don't want to try and save money on. A good indicator is expensive,but worth it. Been there done that. Thought the bearings were out on the lathe. It was only the indicator sticking. All most replaced expensive bearings because of a sticky indicator. If you want to beat your head against a wall try using poor measuring instruments . You have to have accurate and reliable measurements to do good work.

This is not the best, but it is good, and will last with normal care. If you need to get real accurate the Compac 215 GA can be found for good deals if you search.

Last edited:
Reactions: Z2V
+1 for the Noga base, Buy 1 and it should last forever. I have used Teclock 0-1” indicators for 30 years and have been very happy with them. Can get them on Amazon for about $65. I prefer the 4409-1001 model to the other model. For a test indicator I would go with Mitutoyo as others have said going cheap on indicators can cause some frustration.

While I'm waiting on my lathe to get delivered in January (hopefully), I'm taking the time to start picking up some basic things to get my hobby shop up and running. I was wondering what some good starting dial indicators might be. I'm sure there's a lot of ways to go but just want a starting place (size, brand, etc.). Thanks for any advice
Maybe the attached will be helpful since you are just getting started. As for indicators, my rule of thumb is if the resolution is 0.001" with something like a 1" displacement, buy cheap on Amazon - what's called "Beater" in the attached. For more accurate measurements, the most reliable and robust one I own is the Swiss-made Interapid #74.111370 - I've used it every day for 20 years. The resolution of 5/10ths is just right for most things requiring normal tight tolerances. For higher accuracy work to 1/10th, I prefer a large diameter indicator that is easy to distinguish the tick-marks - like the Mitutoyo 4802-10 shown below.

IMG_6421 (1).jpeg

Attachments

• Machine Tooling Get Started List August162021.pdf
    168.1 KB · Views: 8
Perfect. Thanks for all the input guys. And David, thanks again for letting me know about your book. That has been a huge help figuring out these inserts and which tool holders to start with.

An alternative to eBay is this:
I bought a reconditioned micrometer from these folks a few years ago and have been completely happy
with it.

Back