• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

We've seen a lot of changes. In March, 4 moderators left to start their own site. They took some of you with them. So now you have split loyalties. You know who you are. They didn't like my way of managing this place, and thought they could do better without me. They didn't. The only thing holding them together is that they hate me. Their site was down until mid July. That is why I wanted to stay involved on here until they could learn to run this place. But they wanted me to leave right away, without the training part.

Anyway, I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I don't want to know about this place.

What about the 4 moderators who were disloyal? I don't care. It isn't my call anymore. I would think that, rather than fumble, they ought to come back and do good work. That's up to them. If they want to return to try to lead more members to their site, I am done caring. I suffered too much aggravation worrying about it. I don't plan to spend any more. What they do impacts on them. I have my own opinions including those of you who followed them there. No longer my problem.

I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Good word on old micrometers?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Creativechipper

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
A lot of you on here suggest some quality older tooling. Thanks for pointing me in that direction, I love quality hand tools. Just that nice tight feeling in the hand of quality and solidness= goodness..lol Plus the fact almost everything is made in China now a days. It's nice to have a tool made in the USA or somewhere like Switzerland or Germany, Japan, Poland, England, etc
Pride of making the tool transfers to pride in ownership of the item.

So I went out on a limb and couldn't resist a set of 0-3" mismatched micrometers: 0-1" Mitutoyo 103-259
1-2" Slocomb
2-3" Craftsman
I figured I couldn't go wrong for 26$ shipped vs spending 40$ each on them.

The 0-1" has a lever to flip but it does not seem to actuate any features.

I am completely new to this tooling so if you can share some features, tips, tricks to using or any history or stories about using your Mic's, much appreciated!!

Attachments

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
The lever is a spindle lock, these will fail over time if used hard. They are most useful for setting other tools such a bore gauges and measuring parts that are out of the line of sight.
The size of the lines and number engraving will tell you if a tool is well made or not, the difference between a $9.95 mic and a Mitutoyo or Starrett tool will be obvious.

Last edited:

benmychree

John York
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
When I look for a mike, I look at e bay, and CLOSELY look at the pictures; look to see if the frame is all scratched up, or with painted frames, the paint being worn off, and evidence of rust ------ do not buy! There are literally hundreds to choose from that look good, and are likely good, and stick to the good known brands, like Starrett, B&S, Tumico, and other known American well known brands, and although not my cup of tea, Mitutoyo is good too, I used their dial calipers for many years. There are too many good (used) tools out there to be forced to buy cheap Chinese crap.
Mikes last a very long time in daily use, used carefully; I've been using my Starrett mikes since the mid 1960s, and they are still accurate.

Creativechipper

So far so good, they turn nice and smooth, the faces are nice too.
I took my digital slide micrometer to them at given lengths and it matches up very well.
I really like the way they feel and actuate very nice.
If only a little skill of the previous operators that held them could rub off on me.:D

MSBriggs

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Its good to get micrometer standards or gauge blocks to check and possibly adjust the zero of the larger size micrometers.

TakeDeadAim

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
There is usually a decent supply of Starrett No 230 or 231 satin chrome mics in 0-1" and 1-2" on Ebay. If the frames are not all banged up they dont rust. If they look clean they are of a quality that makes them a multiple generation tool.

'

Creativechipper

Is there an easy way to get the lock lever on the small Mitutoyo to work?
I found the friction lock on the Craftsman and it works.

I am thinking a live center should be next as I picked up a drill chuck.
What to look for in a quality live center?

[6]
[5] [7]