Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Storing the qctp holder on the top of the gear box and changing tools with the spindle running works OK with the 5c collets but I found I wasn't as adept as I thought when turning a large diameter part in the 3 jaw. The stick out of the jaws caught the tool holder as I carried it across to the tool post grasping it by the threaded adjuster. Some thread marks in blood in my fingers and a small chunk out of my side where the tool holder sped by. It only grazed me (as the cowboy show stars say)...

Last edited:
Ooh, you made yourself one of those Van de Graaf belt sanders. Careful, you can pop a cow like a piece of popcorn with that.
degraaff1.jpg
When I was 13years old, I made a Tesla coil.

i was at my friends house making my bike tires tubeless. My older brother was messing with his drill. Then he put a a 3/16 inch and 6 inch long allen key or hex wrench in it. he turned it on and rammed it into my tee shirt. It wound up and felt like being shot by a red Ryder for 6 inches along my arm. i have a giant scar. i was also using a wood lathe. he stomped on a broom thinking it would be funny. luckily i was a beginner and i had the tool post far away. it hit me in the head and i could feel my shirt drag on the wood and my fingers got stuck in between the wood and tool post. i shut it of and yelled at him. My dad came out and yelled at him. i started turning again and he did the same thing. Lesson learned, i will run out of the garage when he comes out.

When my older brother got after me like that, I ALWAYS payed him back later when he least expected it, and I always did more damage. :)

When my older brother got after me like that, I ALWAYS payed him back later when he least expected it, and I always did more damage. :)
i had him scraping a piece of aluminium and said it looked so much better than the cast iron i was doing. i turned it over and he put a gouge along the entire thing. he the farted so we hit hammers on metal and he ran and did not come back out.

I was given 4 ALUMINIUM wheels to use for casting but they still had the tyres on them.
I didnt want to pay the tyre shop to remove them so I thought as I have to cut the rims then using the angle grinder to cut the beading would be the way to go.
It worked very well BUT I learnt very quickly to only make short periods and allow the smoke to dissipate before continuing.
One long period obviously built up the rubber smoke inside the tyre then when I hit the steel bead the sparks ignighted the resulting flammable mixture and BOOM.
Luckily no pain but I did jump a tad.

Back