Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

When tightening a Chuck on a lathe don’t use the key to move the Chuck to the next scroll. I pinched my finger on the saddle and key. It was a 8 inch Chuck. Hurts more when it is covered in chips.

I did a dumb one yesterday. I keep all my cutting fluids in these sweet dispensing bottles from McMaster Carr. They have a nice needle tip to dispense a precision amount of fluid where you need it. https://www.mcmaster.com/1902T127/

1611520201624.png

Anyways I'm working on the mill and have one with WD-40 to lubricate the cutter, I keep the bottle on the table. I'm swapping parts out in the vise and swung a dead blow to knock the part down onto the parallels. I hit the part but at the same time swung my hand down onto the bottle with the uncapped needle pointing up and drove the needle full depth into my finger :frown 2:. That's a big honking needle!

Got lucky and it missed going through my knuckle by about a quarter inch, but I felt it bounce off the bone! Honestly didn't hurt bad but ugh it gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about. Cleaned it the best I could and praying to not get an infection. Lesson learned and the cutting fluid is staying on the cart next to me with the cap on.

Forget my previous smart ass thread and lets see if we can contribute to the OP's original intent.

I do a lot of machining with small drill bits, cutters etc on my drill / mill.

When chucking up a very small diameter drill bit in a 13 mm three jaw chuck it is very easy to get the chuck to tighten down on the bit when it is between just two jaws and not centered among the three.

Turning on the press without first doing a manual sweep can break the bit or damage the work piece.

Always rotate the chuck after tightening by hand to check clearance.

David
I think we have all done that at one time or another....you learn to check after your boo boo

I still have trouble with keyless chucks - with drill bits of all sizes. And it's especially hard because I can't see the chuck jaws while standing next to the drill press or mill.

when removing the quill form a drill press dont bang out the handle. there is a spring under a cap. spring hit me then my friend. i said a peice of sheet metal fell on me.

Back