Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

When drilling on the lathe do not hold the drill chuck, it will spin and hurt your hand I tried it because I’ve seen people do it in videos without saying it could be dangerous so I thought it was safe if I had not rolled up my sleeves I would have broken some bones=not good don’t try it.

On a day with some light drizzle I was setting the valves on my 427 Nova. While tightening the valve cover bolts (engine running) with a 3/8 drive ratchet I noticed one of the ignition wires was laying right on the headers. As I lifted the wire up my finger went into a hole burned in the underside by the hot pipes. As 50,000 volts of CDI spark juice went thru my (bent over the engine) body, I turned into an instant surf board with my head smashing into the underside of the hood and the ratchet swinging around hitting me in the eye. When my friend got out of the car I was flat on my back in the road making invisible snow angels.

Not a machining blunder but here goes.

TV fishing host Bill Dance had a practice of "lipping" largemouth bass, that is capturing the lower lip of the fish by inserting his thumb into the mouth of the mouth of the fish and trapping the lower jaw between the thumb and forefinger. A friend from down South came up to do some walleye fishing and decided to lip a walleye. Wrong move. Unlike a bass, walleyes have short needle-like teeth on their lower jaw and clamping onto the jaw of a struggling walleye will put you in a world of hurt.

PSA; northern pike and musky are worse yet.

On a day with some light drizzle I was setting the valves on my 427 Nova. While tightening the valve cover bolts (engine running) with a 3/8 drive ratchet I noticed one of the ignition wires was laying right on the headers. As I lifted the wire up my finger went into a hole burned in the underside by the hot pipes. As 50,000 volts of CDI spark juice went thru my (bent over the engine) body, I turned into an instant surf board with my head smashing into the underside of the hood and the ratchet swinging around hitting me in the eye. When my friend got out of the car I was flat on my back in the road making invisible snow angels.
I am sorry but this picture in my head looks horrible and funny at the same time. I hope you are ok. Must have been a shocking experience. Forgive me,I really hope you are ok.

I am sorry but this picture in my head looks horrible and funny at the same time. I hope you are ok. Must have been a shocking experience. Forgive me,I really hope you are ok.
Now, 50 years later I'm still best friends with the guy that was with me and we still laugh about it. The ratchet that hit me in the eye could have been a life changer at 18yoa but it just gave me a shiner.

Back