Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

The ratchet that hit me in the eye could have been a life changer at 18yoa but it just gave me a shiner.
.....and a good story!

I am sure glad it turned out as something you (and the rest of us) can laugh about!
-brino

A really smart toolmaker that I respected a lot, and had learned a ton of things from, gave me just one piece of bad advice. I was complaining about my safety glasses one day, and he echoed my issues. Then he said that most of the time he doesn't wear them. For instance when form dressing a grinding wheel, he said he "just squints". So I guess the moral of the story is don't blindly follow anyone's advice, think for yourself. Don't be lazy when it comes to safety. Also, don't wear long sleeves when working with long stringy chips, lathe or mill. One more, if you think it might still be hot, it is.

I was complaining about my safety glasses one day, and he echoed my issues. Then he said that most of the time he doesn't wear them. For instance when form dressing a grinding wheel, he said he "just squints". So I guess the moral of the story is don't blindly follow anyone's advice, think for yourself.

....and if you did follow his advice it might really be "blindly following".
-brino

Carving knives are sharp

I set up my iPad and used my nose to take the picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 44
Bozo, but clever Braeden...I've been jolted by many a spark plug wire, tain't funny Magee :grin:

SOOOOOO, dumbness 101 to calculate center height, you divide diameter by 2, then ADD the difference to determine exact center. What a dummy, but I'm getting muscle memory on the controls for my new lathe. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)

SOOOOOO, dumbness 101 to calculate center height, you divide diameter by 2, then ADD the difference to determine exact center. What a dummy, but I'm getting muscle memory on the controls for my new lathe. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :)
I'm not following lol

Not a machining blunder but here goes.

TV fishing host Bill Dance had a practice of "lipping" largemouth bass, that is capturing the lower lip of the fish by inserting his thumb into the mouth of the mouth of the fish and trapping the lower jaw between the thumb and forefinger. A friend from down South came up to do some walleye fishing and decided to lip a walleye. Wrong move. Unlike a bass, walleyes have short needle-like teeth on their lower jaw and clamping onto the jaw of a struggling walleye will put you in a world of hurt.

PSA; northern pike and musky are worse yet.
an 8-pound bass can bite pretty hard though, but only a scrape

Back