Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I buzzed into my knuckle with an angle grinder again. I got lucky, this time it didn't get into my joint, just deep into the skin, right over the top of a scar from doing the same 15 years ago. Usually happens after several hours of work. I was so miffed about this repeat goof that I went through my work gloves and found several with the right index finger knuckle incision. The black Mechanic's were from Saturday's scare, the green ones from that fateful day all those years ago, the blue ones from a near miss with a cutoff wheel, and the other black ones from another near miss with a flap disc. I should probably find all the guards for my grinders, this looks like pattern behavior.

View attachment 405738
View attachment 405739
I did this while working tile with a diamond blade. I hit the nerve, it still hurts almost year later... a burn , that won't go away.glad your's was not deep.. I had to go for xrays, as it was deep.. real deep.

I buzzed into my knuckle with an angle grinder again. I got lucky, this time it didn't get into my joint, just deep into the skin, right over the top of a scar from doing the same 15 years ago. Usually happens after several hours of work. I was so miffed about this repeat goof that I went through my work gloves and found several with the right index finger knuckle incision. The black Mechanic's were from Saturday's scare, the green ones from that fateful day all those years ago, the blue ones from a near miss with a cutoff wheel, and the other black ones from another near miss with a flap disc. I should probably find all the guards for my grinders, this looks like pattern behavior.

View attachment 405738
View attachment 405739
I had the auxiullary handle come off my 4-1/2" angle grinder causing it to fall and put a two inch gash in my leg just above the knee. I corrected the problem by drilling and tapping the housing for threaded brass bushing. I installed the bushing with epoxy. Much more secure than the OEM knurled insert bushing.

In another instance, I cutting off a piece of 2" x 3" bar stock. Afterwards, I found that the shower of sparks had melted the polyester fabric on the backs of three of the fingers on my gloves. Another pair of gloves had modifications like yours.

I think I'm going to put a wrap of grip tape on the lower end of each grinder's body, and introduce a new rule that the right hand must always hold over grip tape. Either that, or come up with armored knuckles. I use the whole disc when I work, especially the face, which is obstructed by the guards. Hmm, maybe I need a plate mail gauntlet!
MH-A0941_2-1.jpg

Many years ago I had an amazing escape from a large heavy 9" angle grinder. I was using it to remove old welds from a truck body.
These truck owners wanted these side and end extensions to the body to carry more gravel. They knew they wouldnt last long but to them it was worth it for the extra money they charged per load.
Anyway this was in the middle of winter so I was dressed in T shirt, flannel shirt, sweat shirt, very thick woolly jumper, overalls, jeans, thick quilted leather bikie jacket and leather apron.
The boss was too mean to replace the guards on the grinder so it was always used without one.
This particular day I'm grinding out the aluminium weld to re-weld it when it grabbed and kicked back.
It felt like a horse had kicked me and I stood there in a total funk waiting for the blood.
The disk had cut through all the clothing down to the flesh leaving just a thin red line diagonally down my chest and stomach, It hadnt even broken the skin.
Guess who's never used an angle grinder without a guard since?

Many years ago I had an amazing escape from a large heavy 9" angle grinder. I was using it to remove old welds from a truck body.
These truck owners wanted these side and end extensions to the body to carry more gravel. They knew they wouldnt last long but to them it was worth it for the extra money they charged per load.
Anyway this was in the middle of winter so I was dressed in T shirt, flannel shirt, sweat shirt, very thick woolly jumper, overalls, jeans, thick quilted leather bikie jacket and leather apron.
The boss was too mean to replace the guards on the grinder so it was always used without one.
This particular day I'm grinding out the aluminium weld to re-weld it when it grabbed and kicked back.
It felt like a horse had kicked me and I stood there in a total funk waiting for the blood.
The disk had cut through all the clothing down to the flesh leaving just a thin red line diagonally down my chest and stomach, It hadnt even broken the skin.
Guess who's never used an angle grinder without a guard since?
If it was not for all those garments that you wore, we would never had known about your great sense of humor. That was just too close, mate.

Yer not wrong, just after that I decided maybe welding as a trade wasnt for me so I went back to the kitchens where it was safer.
just some burns, scalds, cuts, stabs, sprayed in hot fat, etc etc

Yer not wrong, just after that I decided maybe welding as a trade wasnt for me so I went back to the kitchens where it was safer.
just some burns, scalds, cuts, stabs, sprayed in hot fat, etc etc
Is that why they say "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen."?

Back