Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Nothing like rapiding into the work with a spindly parting tool. It really did an amazing job of cutting before it failed.
View attachment 410114

$166.00 later we're back in business. ISCAR SGTFR 2020-3
Jim, I'm trying to understand the orientation and configuration on that turret. If you think of it can you take a pic of a wider view? The scale is throwing me off.

A long time ago, my first encounter with a stock broker, he recommended a mutual fund & set up an account for me. Several months later he sold most of the fund. He told me he was protecting my investment. Several months later he bought the same fund. Being the suspicious type I finally did a little research. Each time he bought, 5.75% of the purchase was taken of the top of the money being invested. On top of that the mutual fund too a % every year. Last time I used a broker!
I left our stock broker, a friend of my wife’s, husband. His investment philosophy was to watch for a ten percent gain, sell and buy another stock.
He got paid every transaction.
I fired him and moved over to Edward Jones.
I looked this morning, we are down 20%. Oh well, what goes up, must come down.

Last edited:
Churning the account is embezzlement in my opinion. My advisor has a client who’s former broker churned 10s of 1000s in a couple years. These pest wonder why Questtrade and other platforms are so popular!
Pierre

I left our stock broker, a friend of my wife’s husband. His investment philosophy was to watch for a ten percent gain, sell and buy another stock.
Your what now?

My mom had a broker that ripped her off real good. She kept moving stocks to get the commission and fees, she went through most of the money before my mom realized what went on. scum of the earth.

Jim, I'm trying to understand the orientation and configuration on that turret. If you think of it can you take a pic of a wider view? The scale is throwing me off.

It can get a bit confusing if you are not used to being around large slant bed lathes. Relative to a manual lathe, the tool is ''upside down'' and approaches the work from the ''back side''. Spindle rotation is normal, counterclockwise when viewing from the tailstock end.

This part is about 3.5'' x 1.5'' diameter
1655310073275.png

This is a pretty clear video of the machine making a 2'' long x 0.875 diameter part.

It can get a bit confusing if you are not used to being around large slant bed lathes. Relative to a manual lathe, the tool is ''upside down'' and approaches the work from the ''back side''. Spindle rotation is normal, counterclockwise when viewing from the tailstock end.

This part is about 3.5'' x 1.5'' diameter
View attachment 410150

This is a pretty clear video of the machine making a 2'' long x 0.875 diameter part.

yep, you murdered that part... just a little bent.. a tiny bend.. no one will notice.

I was machining printed circuit boards on my Tormach CNC and would copy an operation to break it into two parts so I could pause and move the step clamps for machining the second half. I discovered that if the same tool was used for consecutive operations, the CNC controller would skip the tool change even though the G code called for a tool change. Step clamps vs. carbide end mill, step clamps win (although with some scars).

I was machining printed circuit boards on my Tormach CNC and would copy an operation to break it into two parts so I could pause and move the step clamps for machining the second half. I discovered that if the same tool was used for consecutive operations, the CNC controller would skip the tool change even though the G code called for a tool change. Step clamps vs. carbide end mill, step clamps win (although with some scars).

M1 or a G4 P0 is your friend in those situations :) I'm going to be doing something similar in the next few days, and will be using a G4 P0 to stop the machine between operations so I can move the clamp. This will be air cut first, just to make sure it all works as planned :cautious:

I left our stock broker, a friend of my wife’s husband. His investment philosophy was to watch for a ten percent gain, sell and buy another stock.
Smart to get rid of leeching stock brokers. The only way to go is index funds or ETF's with very low expense ratios. I am down a bit now but don't give a damn.

Back