Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

LOL , that's why we all missed you over these past months Will ! :grin: Oh yeah , what's the going rate for a bucket of barn dust these days ? :big grin:

LOL , that's why we all missed you over these past months Will ! :grin: Oh yeah , what's the going rate for a bucket of barn dust these days ? :big grin:
Haha, thanks Dave! Hmm, the good ol barn dust. Not sure these days, with inflation I'm sure it jas gone up too. I think they're adding a bit of water to it now to increase volume & weight per bucket. :)

When it's 100 degrees out, near noon, and you have to run into town for a part... don't leave the wrench you're using sitting on a concave reflective surface in full sun. Or this will happen when you get back with that part.20220815_153138.jpg

Yeah, summer in Iraq taught me to keep my tools in the shade!

Reactions: K30
Biggest mistake I've made so far was trying to move my lathe yesterday afternoon. It was going really well, but one of my machine skates squirted out from under while I was turning it. Now I'm stuck. Maybe I can get it with some floor jacks and cinder blocks, I don't know. I'm still shaking from adrenaline. And in case I need to come out and say it, this really sucks. Not fun at all, I really forked myself with this one. Any ideas?

PXL_20221127_221023709.jpgPXL_20221127_224406796.jpg

Biggest mistake I've made so far was trying to move my lathe yesterday afternoon. It was going really well, but one of my machine skates squirted out from under while I was turning it. Now I'm stuck. Maybe I can get it with some floor jacks and cinder blocks, I don't know. I'm still shaking from adrenaline. And in case I need to come out and say it, this really sucks. Not fun at all, I really forked myself with this one. Any ideas?

View attachment 428052View attachment 428053
Bummer man. That really sucks. All I can say

Of the two ways it could go over, that's the better one- falling on it's face you would have much more damage
And with the motor in the base like that it's relatively low to the ground and protected
Your floor is probably a little worse for wear
-Mark

Ouch! I mean, at least it fell BACKWARDS so there are less fragile things back there to be damaged, but that still sucks. It fell flat on the casting, so at least there's a chance it'll be OK?

Do you have an engine hoist? I might consider trying to use that right under the chuck to lift it a bit, and see if you can rotate it there. If you have a threaded hole in the headstock for lifting, that might be useful as well.

John,
What's the ceiling like over the lathe? Attach a 2 x 10 or a piece of steel across multiple joists and use a chain fall or come-a-long to get the lathe back on it's feet. If you have open joists (best) attach pieces of plywood vertically and attach to that. If you have wood I beam joists don't just attach to the bottom 2 x 3 as it may separate from the rest of the joist. A good lathe attachment point is a chain or tow strap right thru the bed to a cross piece of steel underneath. Hopefully there's no damage to the machine. Good luck.
Ed P

Back