Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Engine hoist, or wood gantry, I just moved my 3600lb lathe with skates. I used 4 x 6 boards wider than the base inboard enough to get a floor jack under each end, you look space constrained for anything too wide though. This happening to you was my nightmare, and I'm very sorry to see it.

That happened to one of my Logan's but it fell on the dials and broke handles and cracked part of the carriage and I lost ability to thread on that machine. It was cheaper for me to buy another lathe than the parts needed to fix it . I still use it as a turret lathe and hand feed for turning.

I gasped for air when I saw that picture. We all feel your pain.

Isn't that a CRX behind the screen?

88 CRX.jpg

Bummer man. That really sucks. All I can say
Yes sir, it does. I'm rallying my help this morning to get back on my feet.

Of the two ways it could go over, that's the better one- falling on it's face you would have much more damage
That happened to one of my Logan's but it fell on the dials and broke handles and cracked part of the carriage and I lost ability to thread on that machine.
Ouch! I mean, at least it fell BACKWARDS so there are less fragile things back there to be damaged, but that still sucks. It fell flat on the casting, so at least there's a chance it'll be OK?
Thanks, men. It did land butter-side-up, that much matters! Appears to be no mechanical damage, just (thick) sheet metal and pride.

What's the ceiling like over the lathe? Attach a 2 x 10 or a piece of steel across multiple joists and use a chain fall or come-a-long to get the lathe back on it's feet.
I have a second level, so there are joists every 12". I thought about it at first and dismissed it, but now that you bring it up, I could haul a piece of heavy pipe upstairs and a hole saw to cut a 4" hole in the floor. I could lay the pipe across the joists and probably lift a lot with a chainfall or even two. This is worth re-visiting, thanks!

Engine hoist, or wood gantry, I just moved my 3600lb lathe with skates. I used 4 x 6 boards wider than the base inboard enough to get a floor jack under each end, you look space constrained for anything too wide though. This happening to you was my nightmare, and I'm very sorry to see it.
The lathe is a 17x60, it's ten feet long and weighs approaching three tons. Engine hoist makes me nervous after my last disaster (reminder to self to post photo), and a gantry hoist would have to be at least 12' wide to reach the wreck. I think using the ceiling may be my best bet for stability. I think I can get it back on its feet with floor jacks and my 5' hi-lift. Center of mass is the top of the bed, which makes this tougher. I just hope I can stand it up without flopping or sliding and laying it down on it's face. At that point, it may as well take me with it, because I can only take so much heartbreak.

This happened while assisting movement with my mill. The trailer flipped tongue-upwards and I shat my drawers. I better not pursue a career as a rigger, because I really suck at using what I have to deal with problems that I shouldn't try dealing with in the first place. I wish for a forklift...
IMAG0755.jpg

I gasped for air when I saw that picture. We all feel your pain.

Isn't that a CRX behind the screen?

View attachment 428080

Not just any CRX, that's a factory Vtec EE8 (1 of 300 made) that I bought and built in Germany, and imported it here under EPA exemption status when it was 25 years old. It's a blue ribbon car, except for the engine fire and the bumper that I just smashed with my lathe.

IMAG0096.jpgFB_IMG_1440245373399.jpg

Ah! Didn't realize it was that big of a lathe! Chain hoist off the rafters seems like the best bet. I did something similar to move a few things from my 2nd floor as well.

It is hard (and a bit presumptuous) to be a 'back seat driver'... Here goes: rent an 11' wide 2 ton aluminum gantry crane. these cranes can be assembled in confined areas, and are very safe in lifting, as long as you don't exceed their weight limitations. Usually their beam can attach at various locations, allowing you to use it in a narrower configuration as needed.

- I used my home-built gantry crane in my friend's basement to dismantle his 3800 lb LeBlond lathe, and lower all the pieces onto moving dollies....

safety first!

Back