Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I feel like I need to describe my concrete quantitatively. The rear third of my shop is two sections of a single slam-and-jam pump job that measure 12x12 feet square and are depressed in the middle like shower pans. there is a 3" high ridge between the low points of the two pans. The subcontractor that poured this mess deserves to have their wrists zip-tied to my rear axle for my next trip over the pass. I should have rejected the work, but at 18 months into a construction contract, I was happy to not have gravel underfoot. Anyway, the floor is wavy and doesn't make keeping four skates under the corners easy. I get it about trikes being tippy, that's why my office chair has five legs as required by GSA. I'm also quite sure that, because of the way the skate popped out, that a second skate up front wouldn't have made a difference unless I had the forethought to make dunnage and outriggers from timber (not lumber, boards and planks would likely provide little resistance to gravity). I think I will have the wandering skate issue solved with dowel pins in the tops of the skates to fit the jack bolt holes on the plinths. I'm still considering outriggers.

I'm still trying to cope with the fact that the first thing to do once the lathe is in place is to start straightening the sheet metal with a stout singlejack. That's going to feel weird after all the careful cleaning that led to this point. I take it now my lathe has "personality" that it somehow lacked before.

Have you ever considered having the slab “skinned” with self leveling cement?

Just pour and it finds its own level based on gravity. Doesn’t take much, just enough to cover the high spots and you’re good.

Anyways, just a thought for consideration if the uneven slab is a problem.

Have you ever considered having the slab “skinned” with self leveling cement?

Just pour and it finds its own level based on gravity. Doesn’t take much, just enough to cover the high spots and you’re good.

Anyways, just a thought for consideration if the uneven slab is a problem.
I am aware of leveling compound for tile overlay, it's the first thought I came up with when my floor was still green, but I didn't think it would hold up to shop floor duty as a thin skin. I could scarify it first, I suppose. I could also jack out and re-pour what I don't like. Otherwise, it only bothers me when I am placing things and need to level them, or when moving something like the lathe and mill. Okay, it bothers me when I think about what I paid for the damn pour in the first place, but that's water under the fridge as they say, right?

The floor leveling compound used under tile is a gypsum product and not suitable as a wear surface. There is a portland cement product that can be used. There is an episode of This Old House where they use it to level a basement floor.

I've leveled 2 floors in a residential setting. I always make the promise that if the person ever has trouble with my work it is free to fix. The commercial leveling compound sold for 'heavy use' only barely stands up to residential use. I wouldn't use it for a shop, however....

One repair I was involved in (not my job, but I was called in to help) was an uneven, partially broken 100+ year old garage slab. We reground it, and used a pin needling tool to expose the aggregate, and poured a 3" high tensile concrete slab with fiber reinforcement on top. That was around 12 or 13 years ago, and one tiny crack has appeared since.

With the cost of materials nowadays, it is not a job for the faint of heart.

On the safety issue - no matter how you move a lathe its top heavy nature makes it risky. I'm not in any way critical of @pontiac428 and his moving. Even with the best of precautions, bad things can happen.

Ardex is a commercial grade self leveling Crete. I rented part of a warehouse that the business was a flooring company. They used ardex and added a pigment to it then skim coated warehouse floors. The finish was silky smooth, colored to your liking and held up very well. I’ve used the ardex on side jobs for leveling transitions, doorways and skimming floors for tile
It is very durable!

@pontiac428 My goodness, man, I feel your pain. This was me, last Thursday (already documented in the SB subforum):

IMG_6305-dsqz.JPG

My lathe is smaller than yours, and I had more space. I was able to right it with an engine hoist, though I ran that hoist right to its limits and sweated bullets the whole time. I had to jack it up just to get clearance under it for the hoist leg.

IMG_6345-dsqz.JPG

(The front loader on my tractor can lift a 500-pound safe, but nowhere near sufficient capacity for the lathe. Also, the leveling feet on the head end look bent, but they are not. The feet are 3/8" steel plate on a swivel machined into the end of the 1/2" threaded rod. The feet are rated at 5000 pounds each. I rested them on 1/2" steel plates 3" in diameter (same as the feet), with building paper between the interfaces, as South Bend recommended if anchor bolts were not going to be used. The threaded rod sits on the leveling nut with the load distributed using a 3" x 3/8" high-strength fender washer that had a close-fitting 1/2" hole.)

I attached a strap to the bed crossbar nearest the spindle, after removing the tailstock and the remains of the taper attachment, and then cranked the saddle out to the tail (which itself had to wait until I'd lifted it slightly). As I picked it up, the tail swung around (slowly, a bit at a time). During part of the lift, one caster on the hoist was lifting slightly as the legs deflected. Shorts were soiled. It ended up upright oriented north-south, when it had started east-west.

IMG_6362-dsqz.JPG

I carefully lifted it back onto the pieces of my skid and put the skid back together. With that, we repositioned it at the desired spot. (More about the skates in a moment.)

IMG_6378-dsqz.JPG

Then, I lifted the head with a wide motorcycle jack (2-ton rated)—with cribbing—enough to remove the 2x12 cross part of the skid. Then, I expanded the 4x4's enough to provide lowering room. I then set the head end down on cribbing.

I used the hoist to lift the tail end, removed the skid altogether, installed the leveling feet, and then set the tail down.

Finally, with the hoist as a "safety", and with cribbing in place (I'm good at learning lessons too late), I picked up the head end just enough to slip in the leveling feet and lower it down.

IMG_6395-dsqz.JPG

And here it is sitting on its feet.

IMG_6398-dsqz.JPG

Back to the skates. You can see one on the floor in the last photo. The skates I used are very low profile, made from 4" junior channel turned flat. The axles are half-inch bolts, with a pair of bearings on the outboard ends to act as wheels (8 per skate). Most importantly, they have a hole in the top with a half-inch nut welded on the underside to allow a bolt to drop down from the top. The bolt doesn't need to be tight, just screwed in, so that if the skate is unweighted, it stays in place. But I spent a lot of time with these turning those skates using a pry bar.

The skid and the skates were what I did right, and therefore unsuitable for this thread. Lifting the head end from below using a narrow toe jack, with the carriage and tailstock pushed up close to the head (which reduced the weight on the tail legs to help them provide stability), without a hoist as a safety--those are the mistakes that are appropriate for this thread.

Without the hoist, a chainfall from an 8-foot piece of the LVL used as the joist beams for the roof trusses in that barn (read: 2-1/2 x 14" laminated beam) draped across at least four of those truss bottom chords (which are 2x12's that support an attic floor rated at 40 psf) would have been the next (and probably better) choice. I have a chainfall, but it's rated at one ton and I don't trust it even there. But now that I think about it, doing that with the engine hoist working together might have saved my shorts from soilage.

Rick "tears were not shed but only because ladies were present" Denney

Last edited:
Back