Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Outstanding, well done. Congratulations.....

Good deal, any damage?
Only sheet metal. The electrical enclosure is a bit smooshed, and some of the sheet metal "cabinetry" around the head is out of whack. All of the sensitive stuff is safe!

Did the building make some scary creaking during the lift?
Funny, I was expecting to hear noise the whole time. It was dead silent, not one little squeak was heard as I supported the entire lathe 1/4" off the ground during the midpoint of the move. That chainfall was worth every penny, it really made things easier and had all sorts of mechanical advantage. About ten feet on the fall chain was worth one link on the hoist. Lots of control! I think I will set up a jib crane with a smaller chainfall for lifting chucks and things. Big chucks get heavy...

I know if it was me and I did NOT patch the hole, then my next post to this thread would be for losing a leg through it when innocently walking through the upstairs storage area looking for something.......
Brian
Do a hatch that can be fastened closed.

That's if you think you'll ever need to lift something in that exact spot again that is......

I thought about the load on those joists. Joists are designed in residential use to conform to a requirement for 40 pounds/square foot. If the room above is basically empty with no heavy floor finishes, that arrangement was spreading the load across maybe four joists, and those joists would be carrying 25 or 30 kips of live and dead load in residential use. Code loading for a single 2x12 is something like 180 pounds per foot up to 12 feet, and that's for permanent loads. More is allowed for short term loads (short-term being defined as, say, snow). The key is to spread the load. And looking at deflection, a single 10-foot 2x12 reaches design sag at 7000 pounds of loading, according to one analysis I saw. Wood is pretty strong if we can provide enough depth of section.

I want to install a chain hoist, or even a beam for a trolley hoist. Even throwing a chain over a single 2x12 bottom chord of one of my roof trusses would likely have raise my South Bend, had I been willing to trust a one-ton hoist. But hanging a beam from, say, six trusses would easily support a 2-ton hoist kept in maybe the center two thirds.

Rick "wood is strong but it creeps under high loads over time" Denney

Rick, I was able to span 8 joists with the pipe chock :p!

Harbor Freight sells Draw-Tite branded chainfall hoists. Keep in mind how HF rates tools, if it is a 1-ton unit, it will break at 2000 lbs of load. So try for a 2-3 ton unit, and it should handle your SB easily. Most chainfalls easily exceed the weight limits of trolleys, they will be your limiting factor.

@ponitac428 When I was moving a 3800 lathe out of a basement there was a point where I needed to lift the 1000 lb lathe bed 5 1/2 feet off the floor to swing it out of a window (!). I fastened a pair 2" x 1" X 5' hot rolled steel in the center (vertically) of the floor joists, and made a trolley that would allow most of the bed to roll out the window.

It went very smoothly on 2X10" floor joists. Because I'm a chicken-face, I used some 2X4 pillars to shore up the floor joists. Cheap insurance.

Back