Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Many years ago, while working at this factory. Making parts for military.

Work area I was assigned, assembly machines, very little machining to keep them running.
Just remove, replace part.

Know a little how to run a lathe, mill, surface grinder.

Supervisor put me in grinding room.

Showed me how to use a 2 wheel grinder, used for sharpening end mills.

Forgot to turn 1 wheel off, reached in for the part, bam, cut finger below the skin.

Have a 1/2 scar on my middle finger from that. Supervisor got reprimanded, told
shop foreman, he really need those parts.

Worked there about 6 years, 3 or 4 machinists, got their fingers chopped off
in that grinding room.

I was lucky.

Be careful !!

Charl

Did you all see the video when a high school muscle man lost a contrest between himself and hanging on to the chuck key of a largish lathe? He started on the back side of the lathe,and got flipped over to the front side. I can't recall the injuries he got before another student hit the off button!! Fortunately,I don't think he was seriously hurt. Another incident done when the teacher wasn't looking.

In the high school where I went my last 2 years(I wasn't taking metal working. I was interested in making guitars in woodshop). The metal working teacher was always gone from class. Where,I have no idea. The students would throw files at each other,make the torch sound like a machine gun,and do other assorted dangerous things. Old teach finally got fired when he was gone so much that his students actually managed to build a STILL,and were actually getting alcohol to drink from it!

We had a very advanced printing shop because they printed the school yearbooks there,pictures,binding and all. The teacher nearly got fired when the FBI showed up to search the shop!! The teacher was showing the students how accurately the equipment could reproduce material,and he printed one side of a $5.00 bill!! I remember that guy. He was a kind of goof off.

I also heard about the time the FBI showed up in force and searched every building and basement in the whole mile long museum in Williamsburg where I later worked for 40 years. They were determined to find the GAMING TABLES!!!!:)The director was unintentionally buying dice for a board game they sold from a member of the mafia in Florida!! The company lawyers threw their hands up at that one and refused to help. The director managed to keep his job. How was he to know,really?

I made a living as an electronic organ technician. A number of years ago, I had to work on a Hammond organ. It was one of these situations that I had to turn the instrument on and off in order to find the problem. Unbeknownst to me, the lady of the house(I have no idea why) turned it on when it was off and then she walked away. Fortunately, for me, nothing happened. However, after I got back to the shop, I made a box that consisted a fuse and a lighted switch which I could plug any organ into. This little device gave me complete control.

I loaned a friend a 12" thickness planer years ago,similar to a Belsaw. not a lunchbox type. He was changing the knives,WITHOUT HAVING UNPLUGGED IT,when another guy came in and idly flipped it on. Totally ruined the loose knives and the gibs which flew out and got all bent. That cost them $130.00 for new parts! NEVER,EVER work on a plugged in machine. Many years ago,I had an old 6" jointer that would turn itself on!! Needed a new switch.

I heard about another guy who ruined the infeed table on his Makita 6" jointer/planer combo. He was changing knives,answered the phone,came back,and idly turned the machine on! It took a hunk out of the infeed table. He was lucky to not get hit by blades or gibs. Then,he was complaining about the lack of response from Makita!!

I loaned a friend a 12" thickness planer years ago,similar to a Belsaw. not a lunchbox type. He was changing the knives,WITHOUT HAVING UNPLUGGED IT,when another guy came in and idly flipped it on. Totally ruined the loose knives and the gibs which flew out and got all bent. That cost them $130.00 for new parts! NEVER,EVER work on a plugged in machine. Many years ago,I had an old 6" jointer that would turn itself on!! Needed a new switch.

I heard about another guy who ruined the infeed table on his Makita 6" jointer/planer combo. He was changing knives,answered the phone,came back,and idly turned the machine on! It took a hunk out of the infeed table. He was lucky to not get hit by blades or gibs. Then,he was complaining about the lack of response from Makita!!
George, I never have been able to figure why someone would flip a switch even when there is a tag on it. Thinking back on working on that organ, I think that I left the plug in was because I would have to crawl under a piece of furniture to get to the plug-in. But I learned my lesson and that was why I built that control box.
A friend of mine told me a story about his father-in-law. He was a pilot for what I believe a B26 and he was selected to take some officers to some meeting in Europe. Behind the pilot was a jumpseat and a second luey was in it. He saw and reached up and pulled this switch. Suddenly everything including the engines shut off. The pilot calmly reached back turn it back on and had his copilot help him restart the engines. Just before takeoff on the return trip, The general handed him his 45 and told him he had his permission to shot anyone who tried that again. The flight back was uneventful.

Bottom line, do not do the same thing twice, expecting different results.

In a past life working on motrac mobile radios all day (these were mobile 2 way units that were almost all solid state but had a tube final amp with inverter that only ran when mic ptt acticated) you simply pull the cover to reset the tube then attach and then tune.

After about 6 to 9 of them yiu work on the base radio under the desk and out of habit pull the cover...but being line powered the high voltage of about 500 or so volts is always there and with this unit on the floor under a desk the desk somehow lifted about a foot...

Person in office came running to ask if I was okay...responded with something like leg wss cramped up and needed to stretch...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back