Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

KVT: Did your eye heal up? Can you see out of it well? I hope you are now O.K..

Yea the eye healed took a while and a lot of ointment. Tell you what it did give you a headache and a half. Now I seem to a bit cautious on things. My glasses are expensive as I want the safety style glass etc. case that was the second major thing with them. First was burn from welding flash. Was real bumb young kid and my father was welding outside between a white house and a shiny galvanized tin fence. I though it was fun to watch the bright lights on the fence. Till the next morning when I could not open my eyes. Of course he got in trouble for not watching me to ensure I stayed out of trouble.

In at the local galvanizers they have a photo on the wall from a trailer they tried to galvanize. After assurances that it was fully vented internaly they started dipping it in the molten zinc. One section wasnt vented. the buildup of pressure inside the box section caused it to explode sending shrapnel everywhere. There was a tidal wave in the zinc bath. They ended up with two ton of zinc on the floor and they couldnt move the crane to lift the trailer out because some of the shrapnel cut the electrical wires. It took two weeks to get operational again. Oh and dont ask them to galvanize something with internal venting. If they cant see the vent holes they aren't there!

I bet that guy had a big bill, and had to start over on his trailer.

My glasses are all polycarbonate. They do a good job of keeping flying hot chips out of my eyes. Only has happened just a few times,but a few hot chips have bounced off my glasses. But,once is enough if you aren't protected. Hot chips can stick to skin,too.

some metal will really thrown chips on a mill, so besides eye protection,
a plastic face shield, HF has some cheap ones

Charl

We call them flying hit chips "fire bug bites"...with short sleeves yiu look like a swarm of bugs got you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I have a quote "Experience is something you get right after you need it" New to machining, hope I don't have a bunch of new experiences that are painful.

Back