Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I was drilling a hole in a metal table, wearing sandles. A blue chip fell under the strap. I did the owie dance all over the shop, trying to get it out.

I was drilling a hole in a metal table, wearing sandles. A blue chip fell under the strap. I did the owie dance all over the shop, trying to get it out.
I can go that one considerably better. I was soldering pennys to screws to make tuning capacitors for a coaxial filter. Being a college kid I wasn't wearing socks. I was, however, wearing ankle-height boots. I tinned up a penny and then dropped it in my boot. I got the boot off very, very, very quickly, but not quickly enough. I had to pry the penny off with a screwdriver.

First off, I spent 19 years as an EH(S compliance engineer working in some pretty heavy industries.

Sadly, I've seen many, many people hurt badly. It only takes a fraction of a second of inattention for an accident to take place.

I wrote the Powered Industrial Truck program for a local factory and trained everyone there on the process. What I didn't know was that one of the forklifts ahd a broken seat belt that would unlatch without using the release. The guy who drove the forklift refused to have it fixed because he could jump out quicker. He drove over a dock palte he didn't knwow as there, the forklift toppled over, the seatblet released, he fell out of the seat and under the firklift. SHATTERED both legs and he was off work for two years and when he returned was terminated for cause and it was upheld becaus ehe violated a safety rule. His medical bills were paid fortunately. He can baely walk almost 20 years later.

Next was the guy who was using a 500 volt meter on an 80KV circuit at 500 hertz. The RF blew the fat part of his hand off and blew the tip of his big toe off. He healed up but he no longer works as an electrician.

At my last EH&S job the plant manager made me write an article for the plant newsletter. After the first edition of "How I Hurt Myself at home over the weekend" he decided it might not be such a great idea.

The worst/most recent injury I suffered was milling a weldment that was flimsier than I thought. It began vibrating and an harmonic was apparently setup that I didn't notice and the next thing I knew I had broken a 6" LOC 1/2" mill bit. It had been a long time since I'd had to search for my eyeglasses (yes, safety glasses. First thing on in the morning, last thing off in the evening) through blood. I fileted my face pretty good from right inboard of my left eye all the way to my chin. Fortunately, it did no damage to my magnificent moustache I've been working on since 1982!

Breaking off a drill as the final operation on a part that I just spent 5 hours milling. I thought drilling would be the easy part. But it grabbed and broke before I could react. I'm thinking of paying to have it EDMed out.

Breaking off a drill as the final operation on a part that I just spent 5 hours milling. I thought drilling would be the easy part. But it grabbed and broke before I could react. I'm thinking of paying to have it EDMed out.
Make a simple spark eroder it works extremely well as I can attest to being such a ham fisted worker.
The only expensive part is the power source but once you have the machine it will find heaps of uses.
from post 19 http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tumbler-reverse.10122/
from post 14 http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/keyed-washer-spacer.40953/#post-351659

I would like to know how many times do you pull swarf with bare fingers (machine not turning) before you stop doing it, ever.

Back