Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Oh, I know, Bill.....just what you were talking about reminded me of that project. We had units in Kuwait, one featured in that article there at Wheeler, one under construction at Hunter in Savannah, GA. And plans for many more JAN projects. The Texas National Guard brought one down to us to play with. :) If I can find some footage, I may post it. It may be long enough now. This was all pretty tightly held information at the time, on the technical side, and now as far as I know there may still be ongoing litigation that might make it unwise to get too much into.

Its far OT anyway. Interesting, but OT.

Somewhere in my collection of combat pictures I have before and after pictures of the chopper I destroyed. I flew on that chopper for 17 months an average of 9 hours per day, 24/7. It was heartbreaking to watch it go. In all I crewed choppers in combat for 37 months for a total of over 7,000 hours. Most of those hours were flying MedEvacs. It wasn't the best life but I volunteered for it so it was what it was. If a pilot was hit he was removed from the cockpit if he could be and the crew chief took his place. The old man taught all crew chief the basics of flying a chopper. I had to on a number of occasions. Once when both pilot and copilot were wounded.

OK, I have held this thread hostage long enough with war stories. Let's get back to the original topic. Too many memories are popping into my mind and the mind is a terrible thing to waste.

"Billy G"

Bill, you are indeed a hero. Please accept a huge "thank you" and know I have a lot a gratitude and respect for you and others who volunteered. My hat is off to you sir.

Nope, just another Marine crew chief doing his job, getting as many as he can out of harms way and hopefully home safe. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not. but I did my best and that's all the Marine Corps expected. Once in a while I do miss those days, but it is an extremely fleeting thought. LOL

"Billy G"

I too was a Medevac crewchief. Only I was in Blackhawks in the Army. Wasn't during wartime either. Although we did get shot at once, I never did what you did or for the duration. I can't even begin to imagine the stories you could tell. That's a huge accomplishment on your part Bill. There's always a cold beer here for you sir.

I checked.....I still can't (or am not supposed to) release any tech data including photos or video of that product. It was designed to service anything from a Kiowa OH-58D up to the CH-47 Chinook. I have the flight and service manuals around here somewhere. Maybe when the lawyers get done I can share some of that project. It was pretty fun.

Friday I made a bunch of parts in POM, 1/4" bore thru, .375 +.002 -.000" counterbore .312" deep using a 3/16" carbide boring bar.

The last 2 lines of the program were rapid moves .200 X, 1.000 Z then 2.000 X, Z 1.000 for working room for the next part change.

I failed to insert the decimal point on the first rapid move, this resulted in the obvious. The tool went right through the part, did not break the bar however which was nice.

brokenpom_zpsnnyd02eu.jpg

how about clearing swarf on the lathe. Never ever use ones hands to push, clear, untangle the swarf building up. Use a brush to push it away or perhaps smooth handled pliers to try and grab some. The idea is that you don't want the pliers to get caught and pull your hand into the works.

Best of all turn off machine and remove the swarf and build up.

David
I cut my finger to the bone trying to flick off a piece of swarf After i shut off the lathe but before it stopped turning. That was 40 years ago and that end of my finger is still dead feeling.

Art B

You probably cut the nerves if you cut that deep. Nerves rarely heel, they stay severed. Don't ask how I know.

"Billy G"

Back