Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Never take your eyes off a 750 lb driveshaft , 15 ft in the air held on with two 1/2" taper pins only . Although we had 3 straps holding onto such shaft , when your pins snap , gravity has a way of shifting the load ( right onto my left hand ) . I had my hand on the edge of the scissor lift and bent down to get the taper pin remover when they sheared . Got me a trip to the ER this past Tuesday , and an invitation into the woodshed for a safety talk . :cautious:

Never take your eyes off a 750 lb driveshaft , 15 ft in the air held on with two 1/2" taper pins only . Although we had 3 straps holding onto such shaft , when your pins snap , gravity has a way of shifting the load ( right onto my left hand ) . I had my hand on the edge of the scissor lift and bent down to get the taper pin remover when they sheared . Got me a trip to the ER this past Tuesday , and an invitation into the woodshed for a safety talk . :cautious:

Yes definitely ouch, would some lessons on rigging come in handy.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. When I machine long tapers on my 618 with the compound, I lock the carriage x travel. I always worry that I may forget and engage the power long feed for another operation. So for the only time that I place anything on the bed, I lay the locking wrench across the ways as a reminder.

David

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet. When I machine long tapers on my 618 with the compound, I lock the carriage x travel. I always worry that I may forget and engage the power long feed for another operation. So for the only time that I place anything on the bed, I lay the locking wrench across the ways as a reminder.

David
Smart thinking. It's amazing how something so simple can save you from a lot of problems later.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

George, I never have been able to figure why someone would flip a switch even when there is a tag on it. Thinking back on working on that organ, I think that I left the plug in was because I would have to crawl under a piece of furniture to get to the plug-in. But I learned my lesson and that was why I built that control box.
A friend of mine told me a story about his father-in-law. He was a pilot for what I believe a B26 and he was selected to take some officers to some meeting in Europe. Behind the pilot was a jumpseat and a second luey was in it. He saw and reached up and pulled this switch. Suddenly everything including the engines shut off. The pilot calmly reached back turn it back on and had his copilot help him restart the engines. Just before takeoff on the return trip, The general handed him his 45 and told him he had his permission to shot anyone who tried that again. The flight back was uneventful.

Ok, I'll try again. In the late '70's I did a student overseas thing in Bogata and lived with a local family. When the lights failed in the bathroom, I could no longer shave. I was the only one of shaving age, so I took it upon myself to fix the switch, successfully navigating a local hardware store in broken Spanish. I instructed the maid and the lady of the house in Spanish and English REPEATEDLY no to turn the power back on til I came down from the bath. The maid of course turned the power back on as soon as I was out of sight. I don't know what voltage they use in South America, but it felt excessive to say the least.

I had the exact same experience. I never found any missile either. Fortunately, my comprehensive covered most of the bill.

The guy that came out to replace the glass told me that the tempered glass windows were extremely susceptible to scratches, as he was gingerly scraping off the sticker on the new glass. A tiny scratch could make the the window spontaneously shatter. He told me that there were a lot of replacements in hot weather due to the glass heating and the stress building to the point of shattering. The glass is designed to break into tiny pieces with square edges to help prevent injuries.

When I was in high school, I used to make an oddity called a Prince Rupert's Drop. It is made by heating glass to the melting point and allowing a drop to fall into into cold water, resulting in a teardrop shaped piece. Because the resultant stresses from the sudden cooling and shrinking were so well balanced, you could hit the drop with a hammer withou breaking it but if you snapped the thin tail of the drop off, it would shatter into dust.
I can confirm the tempered glass story as a flat glass worker. The slightest knick at the edge and it disintegrates. On occasion tempered glass breaks spontaneously due to stresses set up when the glass was heat treated. Seen it once or twice.

I opened my brand new 1/4" center cutting carbide endmill, chucked it up in the mill, and proceed to break it off with the rapid traverse on the power feed. Less than 5 minutes from bringing it through the door, to throwing it in the trash. WHOOO HOOOO!

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

Back