Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Speeds and feeds are always important no matter what the material you're turning.

Attachments

• 17905633_1884141151860778_8417672825376079872_n.mp4
    42.7 MB · Views: 77
Teleportation-- After test driving the truck I just put a new ring and pinion gearset in, I bent down under the truck to feel how hot the diff housing was. As I crawled under , my left hand closed around the "remote start" feature on the keyfob! In only a handful of nanoseconds, I was on my feet, several yards away!

Whoops, ain't no warning label on that thing, there every else

Wait a min, Isn't there supposed to be a safety in there some where so it will not do that.

Wait a min, Isn't there supposed to be a safety in there some where so it will not do that.

The "safety" is usually a switch that detects if the hood is open. In this case I suspect he was checking under the vehicle with the hood closed.
....or it could be that the switch got stuck down (open)....like mine did!

-brino

There are actually several safetys that must be satisfied before the vehicle will start- trans in park, doors and hood closed. They all worked fine! No safety available for a careless mechanic crawling around under the rig! Another teleportation I have achieved- I had stuffed myself under the dash of a Mack dump truck to repair some wiring. Not an easy fit. The floor of the cab is 5 feet off the ground, the seat and pedals and shifter take up ALOT of room. Repair finished, just gotta shrink the tube over the repair. When the heat melted a nylon air line with 120 psi in it, I was certain I had awakened a rattle snake VERY CLOSE BY. I was NOT very close by, the very next thing I knew! I have no recollection of the trip.

Wait till the car tried to run over you. they bring in a car from the school that had a fire under the hood. Had to replace the wiring harness under dash, and hood, Carb, distributor and other things. Last thing under the hood was to drop the distributor in, So put the starter bump button on and got all set up, Bumped the engine a little to get the distributor to set down, Well, had not put the steering column back in place yet, When it dropped, It started, in drive at about 1500 rpm, I went up and over, the fender, the car planted about 2 foot into the wooden work bench and cabinets. Boss was not happy.

Remember where to set the spindle speed gearbox settings, 2 weeks ago when turning the OD of a 9 1/4" SS round at 260 RPM's or 613 FPM, (a bit fast but it worked) I put the spindle out of gear to measure the first pass diameter, this machine has an electric spindle brake which will not allow you to rotate the chuck by hand when in gear. The diameter was well within the desired range, put it back in gear (the wrong one) and started the spindle and feed and it went to 750 RPM's and the tool fed about 1/16" into the work before I could hit the feed hold button.

This caused the expected results, many sparks were created and the insert edge was toasted, 1700 FPM at .012" feed per revolution will do that.

Note to self, low range is to the left, high range is to the right on this machine.

Know a Guy that left a 400lb mold in a SMT still chocked up with a overhead crane. Crane did not get pulled down, the mold blew the door off on its way out. Many expensive parts and hours to fix that. Around 5-600 rpm. Pucker factor was off the scale on that one. No one hurt or fired.

Back