Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

good parenting in those days, dad just said "That was bloody stupid wasnt it, bet you wont do that again"

That reminds me of my Dad's commentary when I made an oxyacetylene bomb (inadvertently). he said "I'd rather tackle a wildcat then mess with that stuff!" I was age 12 and burning steel wool in oxygen repeating an experiment by Mr Wizard as seen on live TV. Of course I wondered what adding a pinch of acetylene would look like.

Pressed an AC bearing into a bore deep down in a part, realized I was premature in pressing it in (still have to sand and paint), tried to tap it out from the back and separated the races (balls went flying everywhere). Now I have and AC bearing race stuck in my bore:rolleyes:

Ok, I've got one about as bad as Savarin (don't think I told this yet, but I'm old). I was in elementary school, I think about 6th grade, so what, about 11 years old? A friend of mine had an older brother that reloaded cartridges, and he knew where there was a coffee can full of "gunpowder".

Now, I have no idea what it was of course, it may have been nothing, smokeless powder, or black powder. The thing is that he snuck it out of the house, and four of us took it out into a big farm field and stood around it trying to light it with matches.

Read that again for effect. It was a windy day, and we eventually gave up. Granted it wasn't exactly a bomb in that form, but we still could have been seriously hurt. I cringe when ever I think about it.

When I was a kid, my best friend and I used to "liberate" smokeless powder from his Dad's supplies and make bombs by making
paper mache casings and fuse material. They worked great! I wonder what the art teacher would have thought if she knew
what use we had for the paper mache making skills she taught us. :)

At least we had the sense to use long fuses.

Filled a baggie with gasoline and gave it an underhand toss into a lit coal furnace. Did not have to trim My eyebrows for a while, while parents wondered what filled the basement with smoke. Another friend took a pot shot at a plane with a hand gun and got found out and permantly lost His hunting license. He also tossed an unknown amount of smokeless gun powder into the house furnace and blew the door off. The stories could go on...........

collected 500 penny bangers one guy faulkes night to liberate for the powder.
It was used in cannons and sort of guns.
My one was 6ft steel conduit, flattened at one end with a small hole to take the banger fuse, clamped to a large piece of wood and wrapped with as much duckt tape as we could.
Loaded with a large amount of powder, a box of cat slugs, about a dozen chunks of lead from piano keys and wadding.
I held it against my side aimed at some ducks out on the pit (lake) whilst my mate lit the fuse.
as I picked myself up of the ground from the recoil I just saw the water all around the ducks erupt into a huge mass of foam. No sign of the ducks afterwards.
Never had to guts to try another shot.

Don't believe the wiring diagram on Chinese equipment outright. Thought the motor was dead on my RF-30, turns out the diagram showed wiring as it should be if a temperature breaker was installed (the temperature breaker was not shown in the diagram). Reviewed about 4 different RF based wiring diagrams and to find the problem.

8 years old and my dad was working on an 8 foot ladder. I commenced to walk under said ladder to go outside. Just when I thought I was clear a 4 pound sledge hammer hit the top of my head. I remember waking in the hospital with a headache, 13 stitches and a bald spot on top of my head. Looked pretty bad at school two days later.

8 years old and my dad was working on an 8 foot ladder. I commenced to walk under said ladder to go outside. Just when I thought I was clear a 4 pound sledge hammer hit the top of my head. I remember waking in the hospital with a headache, 13 stitches and a bald spot on top of my head. Looked pretty bad at school two days later.
Always heard it was unlucky to do that, you proved it! I heard it was good luck to toss a horseshoe over your shoulder, tried same, bad toss, came down on the top of my head; stiches, bald spot ----

And we all thought that was just a superstition.

Put a spool on my recurve bow to try shooting carp in the creek. First shot the arrow went out about 15’, line hung up and the arrow came back just as fast. Luckily it missed me. My DW saw that and said I was an idiot.

Back