Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Yesterday I was wondering what was wrong with my drill operation, it just wasn't working right.......and then realized the bit was spinning backward!
Some years ago I had installed a reverse switch on my drill press.....don't exactly remember why I needed it.
Apparently I had managed to toggle the rocker switch when I moved the drill press around the shop last week.

-brino
I had a similar problem, with a left hand drill bit.

Yesterday I was wondering what was wrong with my drill operation, it just wasn't working right.......and then realized the bit was spinning backward!
Some years ago I had installed a reverse switch on my drill press.....don't exactly remember why I needed it.
Apparently I had managed to toggle the rocker switch when I moved the drill press around the shop last week.

-brino
I've installed reverse switches on both my mills, for use during threading. But just to prevent embarrassment, I've added safety covers (ex Radio Shack.) Here's the one on my mini-mill:
kkHPIM4845 reverse switch.jpg

It all started when I was 15. I did stage magic, both for big events and for birthday parties (to pay for my hobby) Now for years I had dabbled in chemistry, and I had quite the lab.

(cue the ominous music) I decided to make some very special flash powder. I wanted it to make a noise as well as a bright light, but without containment, After a few trials I *almost * had it perfect: It ignited so swiftly that it made a 'whoosh' rather than the moderate burn that even uncontained pistol powder makes.

My huge error was trying to make it bright. Now I knew a lot about chemistry but not enough. so I mixed some red phosphorus into the mix to give it better light output - well that part was right - and began mixing a 30 gram batch (about 2 ounces dry measure). Little known fact: when you dry out red phosphorus after it self hydrates (it takes moisture from the air to do that) it can, and usually does, self-ignite.

The result was a flame that reached the ceiling of our basement past my hand and face. It was, essentially a strong propellant. The heat was so intense it cracked the pyrex mortar that it was contained in. I got 3rd degree burns on my hand, first degree burns and unburnt phosphorus in one eye and the rest of my face, leaving me without eyebrows and temporarily blind. I needed burn care for more than a week in hospital.

I gave up chemistry after that...

Holy S*!t:eek: Glad you recovered....

I am game, made a few errors over the years.
Do not leave the drawbar wrench on the drawbar and then turn the spindle on with a Bridgeport type mill. This I have done in the past, I am short in stature however and no harm was done.

Turning the spindle on when it is holding an indicator is not recommended.
The last few years I have been programming CNC lathes, rapid moves go from the current position to the start position in a hurry, I have managed to break 2 parting tools so far, I have no problem with parting operations I do seem to bugger the rapid moves however.
Wrench on the drawbar thing.........did that a few times. I am lucky so far the spanner always flew in another direction than my head and I am tall,my head is at the same hight as the spanner.

It all started when I was 15. I did stage magic, both for big events and for birthday parties (to pay for my hobby) Now for years I had dabbled in chemistry, and I had quite the lab.

(cue the ominous music) I decided to make some very special flash powder. I wanted it to make a noise as well as a bright light, but without containment, After a few trials I *almost * had it perfect: It ignited so swiftly that it made a 'whoosh' rather than the moderate burn that even uncontained pistol powder makes.

My huge error was trying to make it bright. Now I knew a lot about chemistry but not enough. so I mixed some red phosphorus into the mix to give it better light output - well that part was right - and began mixing a 30 gram batch (about 2 ounces dry measure). Little known fact: when you dry out red phosphorus after it self hydrates (it takes moisture from the air to do that) it can, and usually does, self-ignite.

The result was a flame that reached the ceiling of our basement past my hand and face. It was, essentially a strong propellant. The heat was so intense it cracked the pyrex mortar that it was contained in. I got 3rd degree burns on my hand, first degree burns and unburnt phosphorus in one eye and the rest of my face, leaving me without eyebrows and temporarily blind. I needed burn care for more than a week in hospital.

I gave up chemistry after that...

Kind of reminds me of the kid that brought a small vial of nitroglycerin to chemistry class one day. His dad owned a demolition company
that used explosives to bring down buildings. No harm done on that particular occasion, and best of all, the teacher never caught on.
He was a very smart guy, in a 15 year old sort of way, so I figured it was 50/50 on whether he would survive to adulthood.

A New York co-worker lost 2 fingers in a BP this past week . Wearing gloves , he was loading a part onto a rotary table with the spindle running which caught hold of the glove . He has been a master machinist for 28 years I was told . Corporate safety was here reviewing the accident with all mechanics and machinists this morning . Pics were provided too .

Be careful out there . :)

A New York co-worker lost 2 fingers in a BP this past week . Wearing gloves , he was loading a part onto a rotary table with the spindle running which caught hold of the glove . He has been a master machinist for 28 years I was told . Corporate safety was here reviewing the accident with all mechanics and machinists this morning . Pics were provided too .

Be careful out there . :)
The pics must not have been pleasant. I had to watch videos of arc flash injuries, not a pleasant thing to see. Arc Flash is a horrible way to die. The fat from your body will burn like oil on fire...

The only machine that I can think of where one SHOULD wear gloves is a welding machine! All others, at your peril. Also loading a part with the spindle running? Another NO, NO!

My last job had you wear cut proof gloves when loading aluminum block, that **** is razor sharp and we had pallets and tombstones to load so no moving parts to get hung up on.

Back