Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

While working as a mechanic at Hawkeye Honda in Davenport Iowa (sometime around 1977) one of the other motorcycle mechanics was grinding some metal off his magnesium chain sprocket cover and left a little pile of ground up magnesium behind at the grinder. So at little while letter another mechanic starts to grind a piece of steel and created a little explosion. Lucky no one was hurt.

A New York co-worker lost 2 fingers in a BP this past week . Wearing gloves , he was loading a part onto a rotary table with the spindle running which caught hold of the glove . He has been a master machinist for 28 years I was told . Corporate safety was here reviewing the accident with all mechanics and machinists this morning . Pics were provided too .

Be careful out there . :)

I have a co-worker that tried to brush the swarf off an annular cutter while it was running, he was wearing leather gloves. It ripped the 2 smallest fingers off his right hand along with the tendons that were attached to them. I've worked with him for over 30 years, unfortunately he's the kind of guy who won't listen us younger kids.

The pics must not have been pleasant. I had to watch videos of arc flash injuries, not a pleasant thing to see. Arc Flash is a horrible way to die. The fat from your body will burn like oil on fire...

100% agree. That's some scary stuff. I hate wearing FR stuff in a hot building but it beats getting your face melted off.

glovrs are not to be worn around rotating equipment bill

I was just funning with you! I actually remember looking at the one of the old "how to run a lathe" type documents from the 30's or so and the guy WAS wearing a tie while running a lathe. Different world back then! Mike.

Veeeeeeery different. But I am sure there was common sense back then...............or maybe not.;) I am sure I am going to get some flack from that generation in a about a minute.

I was just funning with you! I actually remember looking at the one of the old "how to run a lathe" type documents from the 30's or so and the guy WAS wearing a tie while running a lathe. Different world back then! Mike.
I think that is why tie-clips were invented.

Back