Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

I love it when the basic, fundamental premises are revealed as "crucial".
It helps me to remember that just because I have been doing "fill in the blank" all my life, I still may not have covered ALL the basics THIS time.
Good stuff, and thanks! Kids, take note.....

I was changing the bit in my mill and got called away. Came back and started the mill. Heard a clunk then a loud clicking. Realised I'd left the wrench on the draw bar after tightening it.
Luckily I switched from using a ring spanned to tighten the drawbar awhile ago, and have been using a ratchet & socket. The force swung the ratchet until it hit the motor, but then just “ratcheted”. I'm not sure what would have happened if it had been a spanned, but reckon it wouldn't have been good.

I did that once on a Bridgeport, and only once. The wrench was REALLY hard to undo, and it leaves a mark on the motor. Boss never saw it.

I watch a ton of YouTube videos, some of these so called machinist scare the crap out of me. Ragged long sleeves shirts , gloves work type not the rippable latex , beards and chinny braided up in rubber bands. Rings watches . Things my old shop teacher in vokie would have drug us around the shop by to prove how dangerous it is. I've tried politely to ask them to be more SAFTEY conscious. Then I see ones where a shirt got caught and ripped a guy up , another who died . Really If your showing how to do something for others to do , it's your responsibility to be safe and tell them how powerfully machines are made. Just a peeve of mine ,, please be safe it sucks to be hurt .

Elaborate, please, RJ...
Case in point, Keith Fenner has (had) a "chinny braided up in rubber bands" but clearly is an experienced and qualified machinist. Tom Lipton has a beard and I regard him as an experienced machinist.
If a machinist chooses to ignore recognized safety practices, that is their prerogative. It may make them irresponsible but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "so called machinists".

Risk management is something that is ill understood in both industrial and academic settings. Formal risk management is not what most think it is. (yes I am trained in Risk Management and have been paid to conduct many assessments in my career).

Of the very best machinists I've known, some wore rings and some didn't. Some wore short sleeves like Pieczynski does, Some wear long sleeves, like Lipton. Fact is, some of the old school taboos just aren't relevant. I truly believe that I will never attain the level of skill of a Pieczynski or a Lipton. What I do or wear in my shop is MY business, as is yours. Learn their techniques, but learn to operate your machines safely, according to your own lights.

Case in point, Keith Fenner has (had) a "chinny braided up in rubber bands" but clearly is an experienced and qualified machinist. Tom Lipton has a beard and I regard him as an experienced machinist.
If a machinist chooses to ignore recognized safety practices, that is their prerogative. It may make them irresponsible but I wouldn't go so far as to call them "so called machinists".
Thanks for making it clear, RJ. I agree with that outlook. I also do understand employers demanding certain behaviors in the cause of liability as well as for caring enough for their employees to not want them to get hurt.

Thanks for making it clear, RJ. I agree with that outlook. I also do understand employers demanding certain behaviors in the cause of liability as well as for caring enough for their employees to not want them to get hurt.
Bob, I agree with that. I totally understand employers required to provide safe work practices. The last company that I worked for had required training in both shop and office environments. As a manager, I had to have additional training
Edit: this was posted before completed. Here is the completed post.
As a manager, I had to have additional training in manufacturing, laboratory, and shop safety, including the responsibility for all my reports.

Last edited:
Back