Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Man oh man, I'm not doing that again, typing "lathe accident" into YouTube. You've been warned.

My friend asked me to weld a handle on a hex driver for an emergency tool. No bid deal right?!

1625849185917.png

The damn socket turned out to be Zamac plated with chrome and it melted! I know it was from a cheap import set but Zamac? Seriously? After this happened I checked it and it is non-magnetic.

Robert

At any age, but especially for we gomers, write the dimension(s) on a 3x5 card and have it at hand while measuring.

If converting inches to metric or fractions to decimals, use a calculator, do the math twice and write it down.

Unless you're the only one using metrology instruments, verify the accuracy with a standard. Verify the level is still indicating correctly.

Have torque wrenches calibrated annually. As much as I hate to admit it, the digital torque adapter from Harbor Freight is dead accurate and can replace torque wrenches or at the least make home shop calibration possible.

Bright, well-placed shop lighting is the least expensive safety feature one can have. What you can't see can hurt you and sometimes kill you.

If any machine part is moving, keep hands well away from it; slow can still eat fingers.

Belt/blade guards/interlocks/safety glasses are the seat belts of the machine shop. They're there because no one can concentrate and be focused 100% of a lifetime of shop work.

jack vines

Yeah, I can tell that you have not spent much time at -40 from your comment, batteries don't work to well for your keypad unless its heated, hell doors don't even close properly, windows don't roll down, and at -40, locking your keys in is a life threating event...
I'm not going to worry too much about it. Around here, 72F qualifies as a record low temperature! ;)

Bright, well-placed shop lighting is the least expensive safety feature one can have. What you can't see can hurt you and sometimes kill you.
Amen. When I bought my house, my shop (formerly the garage) had two lights in it. Now it has ten.

Pucker Factor is high with this one. Nobody hurt.

No, but some fairly serious damage to that tool chest and whatever was in it. Long material needs to be supported on EITHER side of the lathe. This guy wasn't paying attention, though. He wasn't even looking at the lathe or the work piece. He was gazing off into space somewhere. The number 1 safety rule, people: PAY ATTENTION! Had he been watching the lathe and the material, he would have had plenty of time to stop the lathe before anything was damaged.

Back