Goofs & Blunders You Should Avoid.

Smart to get rid of leeching stock brokers. The only way to go is index funds or ETF's with very low expense ratios. I am down a bit now but don't give a damn.
I agree about the index funds.
With 7% + inflation, all we can do is minimize losses with solid investments.
Those of us who remember the late 70’s have seen some pretty crazy inflation.

Reactions: jcp
YTD I'm down 21% I have less money in my account now than when I retired in 2019. Just gotta hang on till the cavalry gets here :encourage:

Mike, is that loss include inflation or?
I moved my entire 401k into a moneymarket fund over a year ago. Just waiting for the good deals to get back in. I also have my limit buys in for a bunch of cryptos.

That is dollar amount.

As the treasuries rates go up the stocks drop. I am ready to convert some accumulated dividends to stocks that pay dividends. Just about did yesterday. Will see what happens today or Monday. Most quality stocks are on sale and could get better.
Pierre

I see that my managed fund has a bit of cash on hand also....

I was given a piece of aluminum stock a while back, I think it had been used to pull cylinders into a Cummins Diesel. I put it in my band saw and cut off a junk of it a couple days ago. I just barely got into one of the preexisting holes and guess what, it had Anti-Seize in it. I took a couple hours to get my saw cleaned up from that mess. Damn It, Jim!

I fired him and moved over to Edward Jones.
Red flag! It was an EJ broker that got to me by churning. Never again! I do my own buying selling using a Schwab account where I pay no fees to buy or sell. ETFs follow the markets up & down with very low fees. I have some but still buy individual stocks that seem like market leaders. Gambling but the house doesn't have all the odds in their favor. If a stock has consistently increased their dividend and has been paying 3% or so over the long run they will likely do better than the overall market. Especially if they have a leading product. If a company is paying a high dividend, that is an indication of higher risk!
There is no way I'll pay a stock broker's fees. Their recommendations are often linked to kick backs!

As we all know drilling a deep hole in metal the drill bit will wander so why didnt I take steps to minimise this.
This came home to bite me in the last special rod joiner nut and bolt I'm making.

clamping bolts.jpg

The first 5 went well with no problems except a couple werent drilled quite deep enough but that was soon rectified with no problems.
I used a 16mm bar of stainless and machined them one after another just setting the bar through a bit at a time depending upon the step to do.
1, turn 16mm down to 10mm 25mm long
2, centre drill then drill 55mm deep
3, turn the taper till it meets the edge of the hole
4, use the parting tool and make the run out groove
5, cut the M10x1 thread
6, loosen the collet and extend the bar
7, cut the knurl
8, part off
9, extend the bar, rinse and repeat.
The one that went wrong was one that had a 7mm deep hole left in the end of the bar so I just drilled it deeper.
As I got to the end the drill was flexing quite a bit where the hole had drifted off centre by at least 0.5mm.
I continued and finished the bolt but the 6mm rod it had to slide on wouldnt slide through due to the bend in the hole.
All the others were first faced the centre drilled.
Oh well, still enough 16mm bar left to make another

Back