Gooseneck or spring-tool holder

The spring parting tool is on page 7. The hole at the end of the slot is relatively small on it. The size of the hole isn't as important as the width of the material surrounding it as that is what constitute the spring.

Very true RJ! In my tool around the 8mm hole there was a thick wall of material that gave very little spring action for the tiny blade (1.5mm X 5.5 mm) that I use. The only way to make the sourrounding material thinner, after the initial drilling, was to enlarge the hole.

Is there a reason why these are no longer available?

Probably doesn’t need a lot of spring. Just needs a little bit of spring....or a little bit of give to smooth out a relatively fast operation. Even an older slower speed lathe like a South Bend, you’re still going around 500 rpm...or more. So it doesn’t have to give a lot. Just enough to smooth things out.

Is there a reason why these are no longer available?
Something that I pondered. Armstrong started making lantern style lathe tool holders in 1895. Their design was innovative in that it allowed replacement of a cutting bit rather than the whole tool. Armstrong became synonymous with this style tool holder. My Craftsman lanern style tool holders were made by Armstrong.

I suspect that the company ceased production of lathe tool holders when lantern style tool holders gave way to the QCTP, 4-way, and other styles. Armstrong began making industrial hand tools in 1909, including the Craftsman Professional line in its later years.

Armstrong was bought out by Danaher in 1994 and continued production of hand tools. Apex acquired Armstrong as part of the Dananher group in 2010 and ceased production of the Armstrong and Allen brands in 2016.

This style of cutoff tool holder was also made by J.H. Williams, acquired by Snap On in 1993.

Wholesale Tool still sells some lantern style tool holders made by RDX, an offshore brand.

One thing that I appreciated in the article was making a tool post ring the correct thickness to bring the parting tool on center, with no rocker wedge; when using a offset tool holder, it has a tendency to slip and allow the tool to cant over when things hang up, usually breaking the tool bit in the process, years ago before I went to Aloris holders, many parting tools were broken in that way, after I made the solid ring, very seldom was a tool broken in that way. I have no problems with parting on my 19" lathe, but do have problems with my 9" lathe, which is in excellent condition; the problem stems from having the tool holder overhung over the the front edge of the cross slide, and the tool tends to tip to the left, causing binding of the cut; when I move the holder to the right so that it is not overhung, the problem goes away, but then there are problems when using other tools and the compound tends to interfere with the chuck jaws; such is an imperfect world!

YouTube ,, Igorcowa,, or igorkowa ,,, Hes Russian I think but he's a darn good machinist , he made some on a videos. And it's quite easy to see when he uses them.

YouTube ,, Igorcowa,, or igorkowa ,,, Hes Russian I think but he's a darn good machinist , he made some on a videos. And it's quite easy to see when he uses them.
Not finding him on youtube with those two spellings. Do you happen to have a link to his video/channel etc?

Here is a video on how these spring tool holders work.

Here is another video showing how it works when making a cut. Fast forward to about the 7 minute mark in the video.

Last edited:
Back