Gooseneck or spring-tool holder

Here is a video on how these spring tool holders work.

Here is another video showing how it works when making a cut. Fast forward to about the 7 minute mark in the video.
Thanks for sharing. A great explanation from Tom as to mechanics of the spring tool. If you think about it, this is exactly why using a parting tool upside down works so well.

Final finishing touches to the tool.
I did not like the bolt securing the blade on the holder so I made it a bit more sophisticated.
Started with a plain 6mm bolt, rounded the head and machined it to 8 deg angle

Bolt.jpg

It secures blade better than the previous one, plus the tool looks more "sophisticated" :grin:

Finished_Tool1.jpg

Finished_Tool2.jpg

Ah ha! I'm reading this thread and not understanding how this works. Flex is the reason parting is a problem on smaller lathes. So you would think a tool holder that flexes would make matters worse.

The videos clarify that the key is the above the center line pivot point that causes the blade to kick out instead of dig in. And that makes total sense.

As others have mentioned, you have to wonder why they don't make these anymore.

This is now my next project.

If this really works I so need it because parting off for me always takes forever and/or end up in fireworks- even when I follow all the general advice. Since I have a threaded chuck running the lathe in reverse(for a rear mounted parting tool is not ideal.

Rear mounted tool doesn't need you to run in reverse. Just mount the tool upside down. :grin:

Don't have to make one. Found two for sale on Ebay. Should have them by the end of next week.

gooseneck tool holders.jpg

Back