Gooseneck or spring-tool holder

Thanks @Silverbullet

Here's a direct link:
It is NOT in english.......but he sure has a lots of content......

(by the way @Silverbullet, it is great to see you back on a regular basis!)

-brino

Watching Igor's video I noticed the system he uses to secure the blade with a wormscrew pressing downwards. I'm not sure that the force the wormscrew applies is enough to secure the blade.
As I noticed with my initial design, when I force the tool to make the cut, the blade retreats into the holder. I think I noticed something similar to Igor's video (compare 9:30 to 9:47).

Igor1.jpg

To remedy this I used the wedge type securing bolt that solved the problem for good.

Wedge type.jpg

Last edited:
The two gooseneck parting tool holders that I got off Ebay arrived today. They are much larger than I anticipated and don't fit in any of my tool holders or even in the lantern tool holder that I have. And they use a .75 parting blade which I also don't have. These things are stout.

I could just try to sell them on Ebay. I am sure that I can get the $25 that I paid for them.

Or I could mill one of them to fit what I have. The shanks are 1/2" wide by 1 1/8" tall. The width isn't a problem. The height is the problem. I would need to remove a total of 3/8" to make it fit in my tool holders. Probably an equal amount from the top and the bottom. I would have to check on this to insure that I could get the parting blade on center line.

Or I could mount a bar to the side of the tool holder like Petcnc did.

The catalog that RJ posted states that these tool holder are drop forged from a special steel. I wonder how hard they would be to machine. Trying to figure out what to do with these things.

Last edited:
I made a Norman style QCTP. The tool holders fit over a round post. No dovetails.

IMG_3693.JPG

Here is one of my tool holders.

IMG_3775.JPG

I have .8125 from the bottom of the slot to center line to work with with the tool holder as low as it will sit on the base. The gooseneck holder is 1.0625 from the bottom to the top of the blade. So I have to remove at least .3125 from the bottom of the gooseneck holder to allow for some height adjustment. Since I have to remove .3750" to get the goosneck holder to fit in the tool holder I might as well remove all of it from the bottom of the gooseneck holder.

Decisions Decisions

The two gooseneck parting tool holders that I got off Ebay arrived today. They are much larger than I anticipated and don't fit in any of my tool holders or even in the lantern tool holder that I have. And they use a .75 parting blade which I also don't have. These things are stout.

I could just try to sell them on Ebay. I am sure that I can get the $25 that I paid for them.

Or I could mill one of them to fit what I have. The shanks are 1/2" wide by 1 1/8" tall. The width isn't a problem. The height is the problem. I would need to remove a total of 3/8" to make it fit in my tool holders. Probably an equal amount from the top and the bottom. I would have to check on this to insure that I could get the parting blade on center line.

Or I could mount a bar to the side of the tool holder like Petcnc did.

The catalog that RJ posted states that these tool holder are drop forged from a special steel. I wonder how hard they would be to machine. Trying to figure out what to do with these things.

Those are exactly the ones I saw on Ebay, and I passed them up because they were too large. If you place them flat on the compound, will they be low enough? If so, you are in luck. You can make one of Winky's parting tool holder blocks to just hold them down. If not, you may have to grind a tiny bit off the bottom. Do a spark test/file test to see how hard they are. You might be able to get by with just an angle grinder or a file.

I'll try to remember to post a picture of what I did when faced with this Ebay oversized tool situation

I wonder how hard they would be to machine. Trying to figure out what to do with these things.

A file test will hint at hardness and machinability.

Another option is to make another block with a hole to fit your Norman style post and weld the "new" parting tool to it.

Or a carbide drill and bolt it on.....

-brino

I thought of making another tool holder and screwing the gooseneck to it. I wonder if my little HF flux core welder would be up to the task of welding the gooseneck to a tool holder.

I think that I am going to try machining the gooseneck first. That seems to be the simplest solution.

Rest break is over. Back to splitting firewood.

Back