Gorton 9J new member of the Shop

Gorton made some really stout machines, can't go wrong with them, especially if you want to do heavier work.

Here are some more progress pics:

Attachments

• Mill11.jpg
    Mill11.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 17
  • Mill12.jpg
    Mill12.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Mill13.jpg
    Mill13.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 16
  • Mill14.jpg
    Mill14.jpg
    491.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Mill15.jpg
    Mill15.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 13
Those are really nice machines. I picked one up a while back, old Navy machine. It's a horizontal mill with the optional vertical head.Still need to upgrade my rpc to 20hp so I can run it. Do you have the ram for the V-ways on top for yours, or do they serve some other function on that model? Will be following along with interest on your rebuild. Cheers, Mike

This is the model I have. Mine is I believe a 1964 model.1578282909270.png

Hi Mike, I have a sliding head that mounts on top of the ways. After cleaning I have now mounted the head back on the mill. I believe my mill is a 1954 based on the serial number. The restore is going good, almost ready for paint.

Cheers
Joe

Took a look at the manual John posted above. Must have been after my bed time, as I was looking at "F" the ram clamping bolt, and thinking it was some how part of the spindle. Looks like your doing a very thorough job on the rehab, and look forward to seeing it all back together. I think you will find the powered knee a very nice alternative to handle cranking. Mike

Back