Gorton I 22 Mastermill Serial #

Still getting used to the format here, bear with me. That's a nice looking set up Joe. I am much relieved to hear that a VFD will work, wasn't sure how the brake would respond and later perhaps a power feed. I'd have been in trouble otherwise. Do you like the Teco?
Dan, space is always at a premium around here too, I have two hobbies and they both take a ton of space, one side of a three car garage is for woodworking, the other steel, welding, forge, etc. May the two never meet. Getting into some black/bladesmithing lately.

I cussed the Teco at first when I was trying to get it up and running. After actually reading the instructions I figured out I had a couple settings wrong. I haven't ran this thing much yet. I am still trying to finish the one shot oiler.
Mine has a factory power feed on it. I has a transformer to convert it to DC. I was worried about that, but it is 220v single phase to 70v DC.
I will try to answer any questions you have.

Here is a picture of the mill when I bought it.
20180202_171926.jpg
Joe Hynes

Just to put a fine point on it- transformer + rectifier gives you dc
mark

Thanks for all the help guys. Another newbie question, sorry. Anybody ever have to get one of these under a standard garage door header? Seller says machine is 80" and lip of rolling overhead is 79". Could cheat a little by rolling it back, but still have to get my forklift under it. That's a little too close for comfort, hate to have to buy this dude a garage door. Does the head assembly pivot on these like a bridgeport? Or might I have to either take/motor head loose or sling it sideways, I'd REALLY rather not, never taken one apart. pretty decent at rigging though and have the tools. I figure there will be maybe 16"-18" headroom inside building. Going to go down the weekend of Nov 3rd/4th.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Chad

Yes the head rotates. There are 3 bolts on the head that need to be loosened up and the head can be rotated with the crank on the side of the ram.
It will only move about 90 degrees unless you remove the bottom bolt.
I will try to attach a picture.
Joe Hynes 20180127_114456.jpg

The crank to rotate the head is just in front of the lifting hook in that pic. A crescent wrench will work.
Here is a picture of the gear that turns it.20180602_213202.jpg20180603_182451.jpg

Thank You Joe! that helps a lot. I was sweating that one a bit.
I appreciate your help.

Back