Gorton I 22 Mastermill Serial #

So... I went to L.A and got my new old mill. It was BURIED in seller's garage and we had to detach garage door and remove stiffener to get it out. Had to use a drag chain, pucker factor= 9.75. Good news was it's in a lot better shape than the pics show, and has a power feed. Bad news.. my ground crew of one sucked, tag line not held tight when I picked it up with slings, bumped into forklift mast, not real hard but enough. Wondering if the ways got messed up. Thus, we snapped the right side table control feed (hand wheel) off. It appears to be like a 3/8" stud. Any idea if it's left or right hand thread? Thinking about trying an easy-out to remove the broken stud, but likely would get only one shot at it. Don't want to try it and make it worse. What do you guys think?

Another odd thing Joe, this is the part you might get a good laugh at a knucklehead- I followed your suggestion to remove bolts to rotate head. When I did so, it began to leak oil at about a 20 degree tilt, from behind the slide lever on head, left side of machine, so I stopped and replaced bolts. Does that mean it's simply overfull of oil or perhaps a bad seal? I assume the graduated ring between ram and head is there for a reason and one can operate the mill at an angle?

The seller had a pretty good manual, parts list etc. if anybody would like them uploaded let me know.

For anyone crazy enough to try this move yourself, the shortest forklift mast I could find is at standard door frame height, 82-5/8". Just too tall for std. door. One I had was 87". Also, these mills were equipped with an eyebolt for picking them up, at top/center of ram. In my case it had been replaced with a bolt to mount the arm of the accurite DRO, so I had to sling it under the ram. Weight is approx 2800 lbs. 3/4 ton diesel pick up handled it in the bed. Had all trailer could handle w/ the forklift on it. One heck of a ride home.

I just picked one up on Thursday. It's got the same head, different Dyna Drive Box.
That's nice you have the powerfeed for the knee.
You hauled it in the bed of a 3/4" pickup?

Mine's S/N 39441. I can't find any info. It's got a 40 taper nose, but I can't fit a 5/8" drawbar down through the top. It's weird.

I just picked one up on Thursday. It's got the same head, different Dyna Drive Box.
That's nice you have the powerfeed for the knee.
You hauled it in the bed of a 3/4" pickup?
Hi JRock, I did, but it was in a 2500 HD Jimmy diesel with a ladder rack so had I some tie downs, was a little bit unstable, but only had to go a couple hundred miles. Worst part was the 10,000 lb forklift on the trailer behind it lol, but can be done. Huge pucker factor, lol. I Don't recommend it unless you're nuts like me, or unafraid when you really should be, unless you're traversing fairly flat ground or have an Allison type set up, going over California grapevine was a little hairy. As it turns out, an old LINDE brand forklift has a an 81.5" inch mast. so one could can get it under a standard garage door, carefully. Nice looking machine BTW. Take it real easy in the corners if going over the mountains lol.I drove big trucks for 20 years, so felt a little more skilled in the deal.They wanted 2600 bones too do it for me, think because it was residential to residential. If u get stuck, let me know...

Last edited:
I rented a trailer. Never driven a trailer before. It was only 100 miles, but felt like a LONG 100 miles :cool:
I can't imagine having it in the back of the truck.
Earlier this year I hauled a 14.5" South Bend in the bed, and my 1/2 ton carried the weight alright, but I took the base off so it wasn't top heavy.

P1080071.JPG

P1080070.JPG

That would do it my friend, I have skated all over the US in big trucks. Trailers kind be spooky for a newbie. Nice looking machines, just picked up an old Kalamazoo too, still in the truck due to Linde being in for repair lol

Hi JRock, I did, but it was in a 2500 HD Jimmy diesel with a ladder rack so had I some tie downs, was a little bit unstable, but only had to go a couple hundred miles. Worst part was the 10,000 lb forklift on the trailer behind it lol, but can be done. Huge pucker factor, lol. I Don't recommend it unless you're nuts like me, or unafraid when you really should be, unless you're traversing fairly flat ground or have an Allison type set up, going over California grapevine was a little hairy. As it turns out, an old LINDE brand forklift has a an 81.5" inch mast. so one could can get it under a standard garage door, carefully. Nice looking machine BTW. Take it real easy in the corners if going over the mountains lol.I drove big trucks for 20 years, so felt a little more skilled in the deal.They wanted 2600 bones too do it for me, think because it was residential to residential. If u get stuck, let me know...
Where do you live? have aa couple machinist friends

I'm in PA. Not far from Philadelphia.
Liljoebrshooter : What taper do you have on yours?
I've got a 40 taper on mine, but a 5/8" drawbar won't fit through the spindle.
I'm trying to figure out if this has been retrofit, or if it comes from the factory like that.

Back