Gorton I 22 Mastermill Serial #

My machine has a Hardinge # 9B taper. Guess they made these Gorton's with all manner/sizes of collets. Looks like a sweet machine! I'm glad you made it home ok. Everything out my way has a major grade it seems, nothing is flat for long, I have had the pleasure of running through your part of this beautiful country though, Some funky grades out your way too. Enjoy!

I'm in PA. Not far from Philadelphia.
Liljoebrshooter : What taper do you have on yours?
I've got a 40 taper on mine, but a 5/8" drawbar won't fit through the spindle.
I'm trying to figure out if this has been retrofit, or if it comes from the factory like that.

"I think Gorton pretty much set them up at the customer's request, so it's really hard to say. I'd pull it if you can, and take it to a local pro and ask, I don't know a lot about vertical milling machines yet. I have a couple people a lot smarter than I am, so will rely on them. I will ask for you though. I will call a buddy in a few days who is pretty sharp and ask, for you, shoot you me a photo ior two if you can. Still waiting to get the machine in place in shop, so haven't messed with it too much yet. Just got a 100 amp sub put in shop, hooked up today, as a matter of fact.
I happen to have the 9B Hardinger style, don't know if it's better or no. Built in approx. 1960 I'm told. I haven't been able to get the machine located where I want it to rest, just due to busted forklift which is the shop, lol. I also have the Accurite DRO on mine, so haven't even tried messing with the drawbar fit yet. Let me know if I can help.

Back