Gorton P2-3 - Pantograph

Dan

Active User
Registered
Hi Folks.

Last Sunday I picked up an old 40's 50's Pantogram, roughly 2500 pounds. Got it on a trailer with a forklift from site, had neighbor with forks on his Case bucket loader lift it off the trailer and slide it into my garage.

This will be my summer project, I plan to use it to do inlay work in my knife handles, this is a 3 dimensional machine.

Here are some pictures of it before the move, more to come.

No fonts came with it, I'll keep an eye out for some cheep hopfully. I do not plan on engraving with it but it will be nice to have that option.

Re: Gorton P2-3 - Pantogram

Nice machine, there is one here locally sitting for many years. I've been trying to get the owner to sell it but so far he's saving it for the right job.He has many boxes of fonts, I'll ask him if he'll at least sell some and let you know. I've had a 4 foot bar of 5 inch copper here for a few years and have always wanted to make up some large scale pennies. Strange the things that get lodged in our minds sometimes:)

Thanks Neil74,

If you can get me some fonts, I'll make your penny.

;o)

I appreciate the offer, would be money well spent:) But that would take all the fun out of it having someone else make it first:)
I'll call him tomorrow and let you know about the fonts

Sorry Dan, just got off the phone with him, he's as stubborn as always. Going to hang on to his machine and fonts, because he is thinking of selling his business and it will bring him money.If he changes his mind I'll let you know.

Thanks for checking!

I use to work with Desmocrat and thought I should offer an image of one of the 3d tracer/scraping manual machines we so often used at the sculpture foundry. More about the machine and a comparison with cnc milling can be found on my http://www.keropiansculpture.com/sculptural_process.html page.

Here is an image of the machine in my studio. The boom with pointers has a limited rotation and this particular model allows only work to be done from one side of the machine, however the chain drive tables allow for easy access to a sculpture for either reducing or enlarging. Besides pointing and scraping, the machine can also be used to carve foam using a die grinder attachment with a cutting stylus.

The Gorton looks like a nice find and enjoy cleaning it up. It would be nice to see what you make with it.
enlgset.jpg

enlgset.jpg

WoW ! That 3D tracer/scraper is pretty neat. Thanks for sharing a picture, I like the counter weights on the boom. Looks like a pretty rock solid setup.
I have most of the surface rust cleaned up, the arms relubed, I am happy to say the action is very smooth on my Gorton.
My next project will be a 1920's Norton tool grinder. Here my son is helping me unload it. I built a ram and eased it down with car, rope and pulley.

Back