Got a 2HL Universal with the vertical head!

Crank

Registered
Registered
Long story short, this popped up on the Bay and the guy put it on CL so I could talk to him. Bought it last Wednesday and finally got it trucked to my house today. She was born in June 1943, so she just celebrated her 76th birthday. The guy I bought it from was horrified that I would think about selling my Bridgeport, but I still can't see why I need it considering what this beast is capable of. I also purchased the K&T dividing head that was originally on it, but no lead assembly to drive it. I'm already done stopping the paint that was slobbered on it and primed it for some industrial paint.
Enjoy!

Mark
efca727c0fa2d6fc41722bcacbc9423a.jpg
6b0ac624778f6221d942cf4dc1cc1738.jpg
9388963013f0a9dee472b8048477efdd.jpg
b1d79ae3b5ebe3f0dadec047fcca3823.jpg
05be28f3f6d6a6b870fe2cef819c33c2.jpg
f9d61b5de20d56d8eee09d236eaf6a2b.jpg
870991df34dd5e370d313e15f2f0f509.jpg
975e78e208f24d899f659f96896d308f.jpg
467cd8812c392209c47b40885accedc4.jpg
3036aef865a3d72f2ae27a11b81bfe28.jpg
a64d4f5d7a08b0ba08e66cdafc0dbb6d.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Beautiful!
There are manuals on Vintage Machinery
Cheers
Martin

Nice machine! Reminds me of my Brown and Sharpe. But, I'd hang on to the Bridgeport if it was me...

Ted

Thanks for the comments. I have to flush the oiling system, but kerosene seems to be another thing California considers evil and is a rather scarce commodity. I'm going to check with a local marine fuel company and see what they can provide. Otherwise, I'll probably consider paying the price for some ATF to clean the internals up and get any muck into suspension so I can drain it out.

Ted,
If I had a surplus of space, I guess it might justify gathering dust. For now, I'm going to shuffle it over and hopefully have enough room for both and keep decent access to the controls without acrobatics. My gripe with my Bridgeport is that it does wonderful light work, but the moment you want to remove any appreciable material, it's just not rigid and powerful enough. My buddy has one of those little Rockwell verticals and I would rather that size to do light work. The quill feature is okay to have, but a drill press can handle those chores. I'm not saying that Bridgeports are bad, it's just a matter that I have a plain vanilla model with a light spindle and a 1hp motor. Compare it to the fan base of early Mustangs and Camaros, people are enamored with the platform, but they came from a 6cyl econobox, to fire-breathing big block monsters. Mine is the mainstream model. For now, it will stick around and later maybe I'll either sell it, or trade it for a small rigid vertical.

Mark

Having screwed up once using ATF as a flush, I'd be careful with that.
The ATF may swell and ultimately damage seals and o-rings.
Perhaps diesel fuel would work???
You still have diesel is CA, no? :)

I'd prefer not to use diesel due to water content. If 15 minutes of ATF was that much of a problem, I have bigger issues. It won't be my top choice, I would rather kerosene, since that is what the factory reccomends.

Mark

Nice machine! Reminds me of my Brown and Sharpe. But, I'd hang on to the Bridgeport if it was me...

Ted
I agree with Technical Ted; both mills have their place; I have a #2 universal light type B&S, and a Fray vertical mill, I use both pretty much equally, the Fray is like an early Bridgeport (short table), but is a good deal heavier, both share the same spindle tooling, at least the 30 taper portion. The sliding quill on the vertical is an important feature on a mill, and cannot be replaced by a drill press for many jobs.

Well you're describing what I would want in a vertical mill. Heavier, smaller table (mines a 42") and beefier toolholding. I'm in agreement that the vertical has a place, I'm just trying to make all of this fit in the rear half of a two car garage, which currently has two lathes, 3 Vidmar cabinets, a compressor, TIG welder, oxy/fuel, two workbenches (one has a 7" SB shaper on it) and other items. I'm going to try and make it work, but I think there will have to be some major changes for layout in order to to keep it a workable space. I hate having equipment buried and not accessible quickly. If that pesky clerk at the corner store would just quit toying with me and give me that winning lottery ticket I keep asking for, I wouldn't have this problem.

Mark

Back