Got a 2HL Universal with the vertical head!

What's wrong with walking sideways?
I've been accused of worse things than being a crab :big grin:
Mark I'd be interested in knowing how you moved that K&T- any scary moments?

Mark,
I had a local machinery guy pick it up and get it to my house. It was on a pallet, in an open area, so loading was no problem (I wasn't even there for pick-up). He got to my place, took it off with his forklift, and I asked him to get it off the pallet and place it at the open spot at the garage door. Once on the concrete, we got some steel rods under it in a fan pattern and snuck it in around my workbench, no moments of terror or any physical exertion. His price was more than fair to save the time and heartache, plus he was willing to help even when I felt he had done his job.

In just under 1 1/2 hours, I got his text he was on his way, made my excuses and hauled butt out of work, beat him there, cleared a path, he showed up, unloaded, helped and left, I placed everything back in the garage, got gas and made it back to work before my supervisor even knew I was gone. All that without any foul language or casualties to personnel and equipment. Hands down the easiest move of any equipment I have ever done. It's not in its permanent home yet, that will wait until I finish maintenance and plot where it should live.

So far, this purchase has been almost spooky how it came together, price and the fact that I couldn't have asked for a better variant to have for my needs. I have to emphasize that I wasn't driven by the fact that many YouTube personalities seem to have similar machines, I was drawn to it's size and capabilities, then I found out how popular they are.

I tore into the vertical attachment last night after finally noticing that one of the bolts holding the spindle assembly was snapped off. It was heavily packed with grease and didn't have any "glitter" in it, so no cause for alarm. The exterior of the machine is cleaning up without too much fuss, between WD-40 and M-Pro 7 gun cleaner, it's removing most of the fossilized dinosaur juice and grime. I just have to get that Kerosene and put a plug on the end of the wiring to fire it up for a flush and test. Hopefully that will happen over the holiday weekend.

Mark

" I have to flush the oiling system, but kerosene seems to be another thing California considers evil and is a rather scarce commodity "
No.2 Diesel and what is this about water content? There are actual international as well as country limits. You are using it as a flush. There was lighting Kerosene, fuel Kerosene, No.1 Diesel, No.2 Diesel .... Fuel Kero and No1 Diesel were essentially the same which is why there was a standard shake down.
I use Diesel straight from the bowser as an engine flush regularly and never a problem. I live on an Island and water in fuel is a rare problem and nearly always at a marina through bad storage or on earthmoving plant through stupidity. Diesel bug is a bigger worry.

Last edited:
To remove the gear that drives the vertical head, just loosen the draw bolt and give the end of the bolt a rap. Should pop right out of the 50 taper. You might have to have your machine in a lower gear and even apply the brake to loosen the draw bolt if it's really tight.

Ted

Okay, first, we're past the flushing product debate, so thanks for the input, but that can be put to rest.

Ted,
I wish it was that simple, I noted the offending drawbar in the video. I have used drawbars and what it should normally take to remove one. If you could take a picture of yours, or confirm that the one I have is stock, or homebrewed would help out. It looks factory made, but I'm surprised they made it multiple components.

Thanks

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I don't have a K&T. I have a Brown and Sharpe. My B&S is the same as the Cincinnati mills we used at work and I assume that your K&T functions the same way.

I put my machine into a low speed gear and apply the brake. Loosen the draw bar in the back with a wrench and give it a tap with the wrench. It should pop right out. Yours might be froze up if it's sat for a while. Spray everything down with a good penetrating oil if needed. Maybe give it a good wrap with a hammer using block of hard wood on the draw bar. If it's froze up it might take a good wrap or two.

I don't know of any way of holding a 50 taper holder in other than what I have described, but if there is maybe someone else can add so additional info.

Is the problem you can't loosen the draw bar or just can't get the holder out? If the spindle is rotating while attempting to loosed the draw bar you'll have to figure out a way to keep it from turning. Typically, using a low gear and the brake will hold it.

Maybe protect the gear somehow and put a clamp on it and use the outriggers to stop the spindle/clamp from turning??? (Jut trying to throw out some ideas).

Good luck,
Ted

Man I wish stuff like this would pop up on the east coast.

Here's some pictures of mine; again, a Brown and Sharpe 2B horizonal a very similar type to your K&T.

You loosen the nut on the draw bar and back it off a couple of turns, rap the draw bar with whatever, and the holder should pop loose. Then, unscrew the draw bar from the holder and out it comes (or should anyways).

Ted

IMG_20190705_100614.jpgIMG_20190705_100628.jpgMVIMG_20190705_100437.jpg

Back