Got a 2HL Universal with the vertical head!

Ted,
I think your pictures gave me an idea. I'm heading to the garage once I get dressed (the neighbors get weird otherwise ) and try something a bit different. I'll report shortly.

Mark

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Man I wish stuff like this would pop up on the east coast.

Not hijacking this thread but there was a pretty nice Cinncinnati near Louisburg a couple months ago.
Came with several arbors, supports, tool holders, etc and sold on ebay for about $662.
Had he listed it on CL, it would have sold and he'd've saved on the fees.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cincinnati-number-2-horizonal-milling-machine-/312564290734?hash=item48c64894ae:g:nXIAAOSwa7Rcqj6k&nma=true&si=EK9zOoj%2Fj%2FGxNepkVBHVs1rUL%2Fc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
cinci 2mi.jpg

Figured out why it put up such a fight. Look at the pictures and tell me what you see (or don't). Little bugger, tool several hard whacks with a long wrench and a 3lb sledge to get the nut unseated.

Mark
33bf480983c9537a3a42e01d744f222c.jpg
cbfb5667387300a95d92d71d16d572d7.jpg
d7b4174fee87283269e37f53455293b1.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Glad you got it out. I see a few things of note in the pictures.

The drive gear holder has been spinning/slipping in the spindle. I suggest checking your spindle to see if there is any damage (looks like there might be some in the picture). I'm speculating that the previous owner tightened the draw bar VERY tight in an attempt to keep the holder from spinning in the taper. If the 90 degree head is in good shape, I don't see why this holder should slip unless the taper is damaged and the draw bar won't hold it in correctly. I suggest checking things out and deal with any possible issues.

I see there are no keys in the spindle face. They may have been removed because they interfered with the gear when it was inserted in the spindle. These keys will keep holders from spinning when used. I suggest making a pair (or at least one). You might not be able to use them with this drive gear and your overhead, but you can use them with other holders.

Looks like your K&T setup is identical to my B&S. If I remember correctly, the drive gears for the overheads on our Cincinnati mills at work did use drive keys. I don't have an overhead on my B&S. I did mount a Bridgeport M head on it, but don't use that now since I have a Bridgeport 2J head mill and a Bridgeport 2/3rds clone (Jet).

Again, make some room and hang on to that Bridgeport of yours. That type of mill is MUCH more versatile than these big old horizontal mills. For the work I do, hobbyist, small repair items, etc., if I had to pick one machine, I'd get rid of the horizontal mill in a heart beat. But, YMMV depending on the type of work you do. Personally, I'm not too concerned with taking heavier cuts with the bigger machine. I look for versatility and what I can do with a particular machine. But, as long as I have the room, I'll keep my 2B horizontal! :)

Ted

Ted,
You got it! No drive dogs, hence the gorilla torque to keep everything from slipping. What I need to do is to install some to keep things from moving around.

One of the "needs" I am foreseeing, is that I want to dip my toes in the water to learn scraping. That will require some big cuts in cast iron to rough machine a straightedge or three ;) and I have a few other heavy jobs I want to dabble with. I will agree, a dedicated vertical has its place, but I would rather a machine with a much smaller footprint since I realistically would only need something with about a legitimate 18" X 6" working area, but rigidity is a key concern. If I could magically shrink my table to half it's current size on the Bridgeport, I wouldn't think twice about it.

I am one of those people that prefers to avoid the Swiss Army knife principal "does a bunch of things, but none of them well" I much rather suitable equipment that does the work in its regular envelope. So I would love to have a smaller precise vertical for when the K&T is bringing the nuclear option to an ant problem. I actually have even kicked around one of those stout little Hardinge units from days gone by, but the collet choices aren't the best. Maybe I'll get lucky and someone has something they want to trade for my Bridgeport and we both can be happy.

Mark

Not hijacking this thread but there was a pretty nice Cinncinnati near Louisburg a couple months ago.
Came with several arbors, supports, tool holders, etc and sold on ebay for about $662.
Had he listed it on CL, it would have sold and he'd've saved on the fees.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cincinnati-number-2-horizonal-milling-machine-/312564290734?hash=item48c64894ae:g:nXIAAOSwa7Rcqj6k&nma=true&si=EK9zOoj%2Fj%2FGxNepkVBHVs1rUL%2Fc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
View attachment 297783
Aww man. Ironic I worked in a plant in Franklinton back in 1985.

Update:
Life has been busy, but I finally bored two holes in the drive gear to install drive dogs. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures, but now I can just snug the repaired drawbar and all should be well. I also made a new T-bolt for the head attachment.

Mark

I forgot to mention that I redecorated my shop two weeks ago and the flow of everything is so much improved that I will be keeping the Bridgeport. It's amazing how its previous location was the primary reason I had less than good luck with it. I have both milling machines located in such a way that I have full travel on the tables and total access to the sides.

Here is the herd milling around waiting for their new homes.
IMG_20190720_094024_01.jpg

Both mills set in place and checked for full travel.
IMG_20190720_140756_01.jpg

The Takisawa nestled comfortably against the back wall.
IMG_20190720_140805_01.jpg

I need to emphasize that when these pictures were taken, the rest of my junk was sitting out in the driveway and filled up most of the remaining space once it was moved back in. I am making some improvements to regain floor space, so the battle for real estate continues. :)

Mark

Down the road you will be glad you hung on to that Bridgeport... Glad everything worked out so well for you.

Ted

Ted,
I guess I had become rather adversarial towards my Bridgeport over the years, since its original location was dictated by the size of my previous lathe and how I had run the power to the mill. By having a lathe 3 feet shorter than my old Graziano, I finally was able to have the Takisawa along the back wall like all of my previous lathes and the two mills can play nice and not interfere with each other.

I will freely admit that the Bridgeport did a great job machining the K&T drive gear for the lugs and restored some of my faith in what that machine can do. It's still not a powerhouse and the lack of a powered knee leaves it a bit of work, but it was so much easier to use where I have it now. I still wouldn't mind a Deckel FP-1 if somebody wants to get rid of one cheap :)

Back