Got a 2HL Universal with the vertical head!

If you don't like cranking the knee around, you can make or buy one of these:

Myself, I don't mind the additional exercise. ;)

Ted

Nice collection of equipment.The K and T is a great machine and will hog material off. Just a matter of what job comes up as to what machine too use.My S10 k and t has a ten horse motor on it compared to the two horse on the Bridgeport clone. Big difference in what they will machine. The vertical head is very useful. I have used it to resurface heads with a 12 inch fly cutter. Don't think I would try running that size fly cutter on a Bridgeport.

Ted,
That is a neat little widget and one of those things you could make up yourself without much fuss, but for $60 maybe that's a better value for your time. Definitely one of those things that makes more sense now that cordless drills are so prevalent.

Nutfarmer,
Thanks for the compliment, scale is everything. I can't even picture the scenario where I would need 10HP (not that I would pass it up), but the 3HP on the K&T should make a world of difference compared to the 1HP on my Bridgeport. I know that I appreciate the 5HP on my lathe and I have made .200 DOC in stainless that didn't slow the machine at all, it just made it very quiet with the loading on the gears.

pontiac428,
Luckily, as I posted a couple of days ago, I got my gear machined and installed a pair of drive dogs. My gear happens to be the 24T version. It seems there were at least two differing sets of gears and I guess it had to do with the plain head or the universal head, since a smaller gear count would be noisier, but transmit a higher torque load.

Mark

Hey that was fun.
Crank, you have yourself a fine mill.
May you have many years of use.
I love to see the old war production machines refurbished and used..

Jeff,
I'm glad to have it and got lucky that this one wasn't a clapped out war baby. I have aspirations to make a big block of iron into a little block with the K&T. I have an old lathe bed that I think may become a cast iron straight edge.

I have seen the pictures you have of your new shop and you have quite the well equipped work area. My compliments to your organizational skills. :)

Mark

I've seen those things hog out lots of material in one pass effortlessly.
I was surprised to hear it was only 3 hp. Based on the torque they develop I would think it would be higher.
I am very jealous sir.
I would bet that mill is one of very few left from the war years that is in such good shape.
Nice find for sure.
K&T has a stellar reputation.

Back